2005 Volvo S40 Pics - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Other Rides Anything other than BMW related in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 04:43 PM
5th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Spetsnaz Op is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spetsnaz Op
(Thread Starter)
Lightbulb

based on the focus II in some aspects in the chassis

the previous one was co-developed w/the lancer in holland

hope and pray that BMW doesn't merge/get purchased by an american car giant. Damn ford, i still blame them for volvo's switch to FWD.....

see what they did to jaguar...now jag only makes one or 2 good cars (the huge sadan and the sportscar) the s and x type are both bleh....now they corrupt volvo w/their FOCUS chassis someone make them stop please ?

overall it is an improvment over teh last S40....mainly because of the new auto-manual tranny...but i still think they dont offer a standard tranny yet

the current one handles well, especially well for a car that was co-developed with the US spec lancer..i guess volvo did their own suspension work, and the car feels much faster than 170hp...but no auto-manual shifter option on the current model. As long as the focus II "elements" don't make the car feel like a focus, it should be a good car that steals Jetta V customers (the interior is much better than a jetta imo)

Certified Alaska BMW Snow Warrior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 04:49 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)

<----current body style

#3 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 04:50 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)

interior is still very volvo....... B)

http://www.kalach.easynet.be/divers/s40-03_HD.jpg

#4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 05:37 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
"Naturally, our goal is that the new Volvo S40 should be the safest car in its class, offering precisely the same safety levels as our larger models but within more compact dimensions," says Hans-Olov Olsson.

The new Volvo S40 is being introduced with a choice of 5-cylinder engines with the 220 hp T5 model topping the range, as well as a 4-cylinder turbodiesel with a power output of 136 hp. The Volvo S40 T5 can also be specified in an AWD version, that is to say with Volvo's electronically controlled four-wheel drive, and with a 6-speed manual gearbox. In 2004, the engine range will be supplemented with 4-cylinder petrol engines.
they better bring the T5 AWD to the USA

6 speed manual, 220HP omg me wants

now all they need is a 300hp S40 R that smokes evos and sti's

#5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 06:01 PM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
Damn dude, shrink them pics please...

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 06:16 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
shrunk

#7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 06:27 PM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
Much better, thanks : that race car is slick...

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
#8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 08:33 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

donutchow is an unknown quantity at this point
looks like an S60, only uglier. the interior is futuristic, i just hate the back end. meh.

the s60R is hot

Founder of the 3 pedal club, the first actual club on BMW-Forums.
#9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 08:42 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
yeah, it's certainly not the best looking car

S60R is a great car......i think they should lower the price so that people who can afford STI's can get them

#10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 05:08 PM
n00b

ab311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Spetsnaz Op@Aug 25 2003, 04:23 PM
based on the focus II in some aspects in the chassis

the previous one was co-developed w/the lancer in holland

hope and pray that BMW doesn't merge/get purchased by an american car giant. Damn ford, i still blame them for volvo's switch to FWD.....

see what they did to jaguar...now jag only makes one or 2 good cars (the huge sadan and the sportscar) the s and x type are both bleh....now they corrupt volvo w/their FOCUS chassis someone make them stop please ?

overall it is an improvment over teh last S40....mainly because of the new auto-manual tranny...but i still think they dont offer a standard tranny yet

the current one handles well, especially well for a car that was co-developed with the US spec lancer..i guess volvo did their own suspension work, and the car feels much faster than 170hp...but no auto-manual shifter option on the current model. As long as the focus II "elements" don't make the car feel like a focus, it should be a good car that steals Jetta V customers (the interior is much better than a jetta imo)
Being a Knowledgeable Volvo enthusiast, I must correct some mistakes from post submitted by "SPETSNAX OP"...For the sake of a civil argument.

[Spetnaz op wrote: hope and pray that BMW doesn't merge/get purchased by an American car giant. Damn ford, i still blame them for Volvo’s switch to FWD.....]

Ford purchased Volvo in January of 1999. Volvo's first FWD car was the 300 series produced 1976 to 1991, then the 400 Series produced 1985 to 1996, then the 850 produced 1993 to 1997 and so on. I don't see Fords involvement in VOLVO’s SWITCH TO FWD...

[Spetnaz op wrote: see what they did to jaguar...now jag only makes one or 2 good cars (the huge sedan and the sports car) the s and x type are both bleh.... now they corrupt volvo w/their FOCUS chassis someone make them stop please ?]

Jaguar's quality has greatly improved (JDPower and Associates Reports) since purchased by ford (purchased in 1989). Ford did the big thing by allowing the company to design and function mostly on it's own. The S and X were designed by Jaguar and Jaguar only. Only Jaguars design team is to blame....As far as the FOCUS Chassis is concerned...it has received numerous accolades. It is much better than the crappy Mitsubishi chassis the current S40 is based on.

[Spetnaz op wrote: overall it is an improvement over the last S40.... mainly because of the new auto-manual tranny...but I still think they don’t offer a standard tranny yet]

MAN, read about the product before you assume. There will be an automatic Transmission and a 5-speed manual available on the base model. On the T5 there will be an available 6-speed manual.

OK...I’m done! Thanks for letting me voice my opinion (and fact).
#11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 07:24 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
lol......i thought i actually was knowledgeable.....guessi should stick to computers huh

dude.....before ford, volvo's flagship car has always been RWD, but after that damn company fuxored it up ALL volvo's are FWD or AWD only after so many years of RWD goodness............makes j00 think huh? Maybe it was a safety move, but i can still blame ford. And i do damn ford.

and how dare you bash my mitsu chassis.... j/k yeah its not the best but still i never said the focus chassis was crap, i just said better chassis are possible

if you like the new generation jags, i have no beef with you. Sure they are more reliable, but don't expect me to buy it over a bmw or mercedes...and if jag really desighed the S and X cars....they need to fire some people. Bangle makes them look like a bunch of monkeys, and i am no bangle fan, believe me.

Quote:
MAN, read about the product before you assume. There will be an automatic Transmission and a 5-speed manual available on the base model. On the T5 there will be an available 6-speed manual.
ugh...buddy......maybe YOU should get a reading lesson. i said i still don't THINK they offer a manual tranny. Then in a later post i mentioned the new T5's 6 speed manual.............

oh yeah, and welcome to the forums

#12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 05:58 AM
n00b

Linkster82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry Dude, I totally agree with ab311. Volvo chose the FWD platform all on it's own. If you've ever gotten the chance to look through volvo's brochures (I recommend you do, they're good reading - well written and the next best thing to a new volvo) or Volvo's US website, they say "The engine is transversely mounted to provide good weight distribution and chassis balance, and a roomy passenger compartment." And let me tell you, the 850 has a nice feel from this decision. Granted a little torque steer, but the grip is wonderful and allows for few modifications when implementing all wheel drive. Most, if not all, cars that are AWD have transversely mounted engines to allow for the necessary transaxle and front differential to put power to the rear wheels.

My only gripe from this is a crappy turning radius. I could do circles in my 740 on any road and put that car into any parking space without doing a 3-point.

I guess this all a round about way of saying Volvo chose the FWD for their own reasons. And I'm glad for the Ford chassis. Hell, Ford is using the S80 chassis for it's next Taurus. Sharing is caring.
#13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 08:10 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
don't be sorry for sharing your opinion or for your views
and yeah, the turning radius sucks.

....it is still just so easy to blame it all on ford

S80 chassis on a TAURUS???? OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG WTF! someone will pay for this crap...... n

until i can service my volvo at a ford dealer i will complain

#14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 04:17 PM
n00b

BuDDyLeE S70 T5 is an unknown quantity at this point
first off hello... i stumbled across this site while searching for US spec S40 T5 AWD and i found this..... (barfs links) pics here press release
needless to say, in base form in looks like a passat... period. in T5 form it is FOR SURE a volvo. the inerior is AWESOME... my S70T5 although freakishly fast has a console tahts 3 miles away from you. so the new interior design elements (style and function) for the younger crowd (im 20, and stupid - shiny things attract me) is great. you bimmer guys have always had great, for drivers pruposes, interiors. its seems almost new to volvo (lol). the floating console pictured here is just amazing. Pricing so ive heard is base $25,000 there or there about. so figure an additional $1500 for T5, $1500-2000 for awd, of course leather or that T-tec is going to be $1200, if you want the auto the standard volvo charge of $1299 for the autostick (and MUCH less torque) and in a year about another $3000 for the S40R (HPT as opposed to the S40 T5's LPT - HPT - high pressure turbo, LPT - low pressure turbo). So about $33000 for a fully loaded S40R, which is about 10,000 less than an S60R. but i gotta ask. how much does Volvo kick ass. S40R (hoping and saving now) is an M3 fighter the S60R (i see more HP in the future b/c of the S40R... maybe) is an M5 fighter (right?), and if we see an S80R..... gulp. what would BMW do? M7? omg.... High class HP war.

SO start saving for your next gen M3s and comeon some of you guys gotta get a S40R...AWD and a crapload of torque everywhere. either way ill be seeing you.

ok im worn out from typing.
#15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 12:01 AM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
yesyes volvo is great

i just wish they would ditch FWD...

also buddylee if you want more S40 info, the best resources are swedespeed.com and s40concepts.net

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Other Rides