Transmission ioil leak - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
New Members Check In come in say hello...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 07:00 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
astrict0 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Transmission ioil leak

New to BMW how ever already will say that it is ultimate driving machine, i have 2000 Z3 2.5 with ZF tranny with about 94.000 mi on it, recently changed tranny oil (now it's MTF-LT-2 in it) to freshen it up, at first a found a small spot of oil under the car now it gets bigger and bigger, got under it and looks like all seals and gaskets on transmission are leaking through, what can i add to it to stop the leak, or meaxing MTF-LT-2 with any other leak stop fluid can damage the oil and tranny, need help. Thanks

P.S Found a lot of helpful tips here and very mach proud of being a BMW owner and member of this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrict0 View Post
New to BMW how ever already will say that it is ultimate driving machine, i have 2000 Z3 2.5 with ZF tranny with about 94.000 mi on it, recently changed tranny oil (now it's MTF-LT-2 in it) to freshen it up, at first a found a small spot of oil under the car now it gets bigger and bigger, got under it and looks like all seals and gaskets on transmission are leaking through, what can i add to it to stop the leak, or meaxing MTF-LT-2 with any other leak stop fluid can damage the oil and tranny, need help. Thanks

P.S Found a lot of helpful tips here and very mach proud of being a BMW owner and member of this site.
Welcome

Did you replace the filter, also How much fluid did you add? It requires 4.2 quarts.....if you over filled it, it will leak.....

jb

#3 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 10:08 PM
n00b

astrict0 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
On E36/7 manual ZF transmission takes only 1.2L per Welcome to Unofficial BMW and that is about as much as i was able to fit in it(till it started to over flow ), adding lets say Lucas stop leak or any other additives witch will be cheaper way of fixing the leaks verses paying for rebuild kit will that harm oil, gears or any other part inside gear box or not that is one of my concerns, being that I have BMW “recommended” fluid how would it react to any additives. thanks for reply
#4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrict0 View Post
On E36/7 manual ZF transmission takes only 1.2L per Welcome to Unofficial BMW and that is about as much as i was able to fit in it(till it started to over flow ), adding lets say Lucas stop leak or any other additives witch will be cheaper way of fixing the leaks verses paying for rebuild kit will that harm oil, gears or any other part inside gear box or not that is one of my concerns, being that I have BMW “recommended” fluid how would it react to any additives. thanks for reply
Oh.......ok.....my bad.....I thought you were referring to a AT, 1.4 QUARTS on a manual is correct........as far as the leak......I would not add stop leak, because, this is only a temporary fix......it will swell the gaskets, & then eventually the gaskets & seals will fail.....

jb

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 08-24-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In