Pleasure to meet you all !!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
New Members Check In come in say hello...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 09:35 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
geek77 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to geek77
(Thread Starter)
Pleasure to meet you all !!!

Hello ladies, hello gentlemen.

It's a pleasure to find myself among such well-informed enthusiasts and professionals who are willing to help!

Thank you all for sharing your precious knowledge - I believe that BMWs are a whole different breed of machines. Machines that need understanding, attention, and properly-timed mechanically-correct care.

I DO NOT HAVE A BMW.

Please don't stop reading my post just yet.

Don't throw things or spit at my avatar - you might damage your screen.

I DO have a valid excuse for my presence here without owning a white-n-blue.

The thing is - NOBODY EVER TOLD ME THAT BMWs ARE SPECIAL OR DIFFERENT. I always had an idea that BMWs are more expensive because of extra luxury options, or because of the well-known brand, or because of selling less cars then the others, and a whole bunch of other very wrong reasons.

I was so very wrong about BMW and nobody said different, so I didn´t bother to check more carefully.

Now I am 31, owning my second car (careful with that monitor, I tell you!), and finally got curious about mechanical differences between different cars.

So that is when all the BMW technology appeared to me and smacked me hard. Real hard. I simply lost interest in most car brands' technology. Why bother - BMW always got something better...

So I have decided to buy E39 530d this year.

I am trying to get some useful info, tips, advices, and ideas about this car, and I am counting on you to help me with my doubts. I will open a thread with my questions.

Born in Moscow, grew up in Tokyo, living in Lisbon. Huh.

Reeeeally anxious to get a BMW... Glad to meet you all !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Welcome to the Werkz ........let me warn you, Bimmer's are Addictive!

jb

#3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 11:20 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Oh, and being in Europe, you may want a very close look at BMW diesel models. The 123d and the 335d are amazing cars!

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 11:26 PM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Welcome to the Werkz and welcome to the expansive world that is BMW. There's a huge knowledge base here. I am pretty well in tune with the E39 (just in case you couldn't tell by my signature) as I spend quite a bit of time under the hood fooling around.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 11:01 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark View Post
Oh, and being in Europe, you may want a very close look at BMW diesel models. The 123d and the 335d are amazing cars!
Amen to that.

Both are out of my reach though.

I am guessing my first BMW will be E39 530d.

It's cheap here in Portugal - 12000€ and up.

I love the looks and the feeling of it. It will need the M5 bumpers and decent lights, but my mind is made up - 530d is my way to go.

Would you guys recommend manual or automatic? The car is going to have around 180000km.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 11:34 AM
OMFG another one!?

witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
I would think manual would be best. That's partly personal on my part though. But on the other hand, autos may have neglected service issues. How do you like your Fiat?

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 01:12 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Automatic has a "lifetime seal" so I doubt that many of them had the transmission fluid changed.

If I get an automatic I intend to change it anyway. Everyone who changed it said it was old black nasty stuff and that it's important to change it.

I would have to find a very experienced professional though, they say it's a very delicate process.

Or just a manual.

I was also thinking that maybe an automatic is a bit more well treated - it never went to redline, never mischifted, never let the clutch go too early or too late. What do you think about this theory?

Is there anything special I have to look for while I choose, like defects I can see or feel while test-driving?
#8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 11:54 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
And the FIAT is actually better then I expected.

If we forget about the noise and vibrations - it's not bad.

Pretty nervous engine, too. Most 1,9 TD engines are just not enough to race this stock Stilo.

115hp diesel, 9€ of fuel for 100km (13$ for 60 miles). I went from Lisbon to Barcelona and did not get tired - that was unexpected.

So I would say that FIAT was a more pleasant experience then I expected it to be.

(I need a real car though...)
#9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 12:24 PM
OMFG another one!?

Very interesting! The 500 may become available here in the US. Happy hunting!

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek77 View Post
Automatic has a "lifetime seal" so I doubt that many of them had the transmission fluid changed.
Believe me when I say that "lifetime fill" is a bunch of crap. It's technically true for most people as the "lifetime fill" is usually good for the average mileage that the average owner will put on before they sell the car. Past that, it becomes a real problem.

I've seen photos of the original fluid coming out of Automatic transmissions with 120K miles and it does not look pretty. Typically you will see metal shavings and discoloration. I had mine flushed at 60K miles and I still feel like I should have done it sooner. Now I'm making sure I get it done every 2 years/20,000 miles. I'd prefer to keep my transmission in good shape for as long as possible and shelling out some $$$ to do so is a lot cheaper than having to shell out BIG $$$ to replace the transmission.

Although, I would definitely go with the manual transmission. I think it's the safer choice between the two particularly when you're talking about a pre-owned vehicle.
#11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
"Liftime fluid" Ha Ha Ha, 1st change 70-80,000 miles and every 30,000 there after, I have this information from ZF Dortmund Germany after I had a service on my box there....they make them.

My box had 135,000 miles on it when I had it serviced and was told it may last approx 3-5k miles due to lack of fluid change and sure enough it went at 3k mikes later and I had to change the box, myself in my yard as I couldnt get anyone to do it, not to bad a job to be honest, I would have no problem doing it again if need be.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 05:39 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for clearing that out for me.

Sounds like I was right, but now I'm just positive the fluid will be changed the same day I get the car itself.

Do you know how much it might cost?

Is it difficult to do? Does the gearbox need to be dismounted from the car?
#13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 06:22 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Well I asked ZF by e-mail if they agree with changing the fluid, which id the fluid exactly, and a couple of advices but I guess they're to busy solving some economic crysis (I honestly hope the are not) or something but unfortunately they didn't respond.

Well, I don't doubt you in any way and I really appreciate your attention. I will change the fluid, of course.

Some good news here:

I think I have found THE ONE and will have the green (pink in case of €€€) in a month or so.

If this doesn't work out exactly the way I'm planning it - I will have a freakin nervous breakdown, I swear.

Year 2000, 110000km (68500 miles). One owner. Car looks beautiful inside, very careful owner and ridiculous mileage.

Round steering wheel (M), electrically adjusted seats, no defects/errors/broken details.

No TV, stock wheels, stock bumpers. Whatever. I will choose those myself.

Now here's something I don't understand:

How do I sleep now? I got like a month and a half to go.

How did you do it? Drugs and alcohol make sense but not to me - I don't drink, don't smoke, and believe that drugs are for the weak and the unfortunate, of which I am neither.

I can't think about anything else. This is tough.

Last edited by geek77; 08-26-2009 at 06:42 AM.
#14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 07:06 AM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
It's gonna be hard. I can't sleep when I order a new part, I can't imagine waiting to buy a car.

#15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 08:17 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
Congrats on joining the BW community. I have recently purchased my first BMW as well, did pretty much the same process as you are now, research, ask questions, choose car, change transmission oil. There are some very valuable human resources on this site, and they give willingly of their advice and experience, don't take what they tell you too lightly, because quite often their advice has come from direct personal experience, which can be expensive to get for yourself. Enjoy your "new" car when you get it, expect a few speed humps at first, as you should with most used cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In