The Overheating Mystery - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

New Members Check In come in say hello...

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
fly
n00b

Car:
Photos:
fly is on a distinguished road
Question The Overheating Mystery

Hello to all. I am a new member. I have been reading the threads for 3 weeks. You guys have saved me a fortune in mechanic fees. I thought I was making progress when my 528i overheated again.

It started overheating 3 years ago. Each time I took it to the shop we were good for a year. This year it has been weekly. Out of money, I found this forum. I read everything I could find on the cooling system. This last weekend I performed the following maintenance with your help.

New radiatior and cap, thermostat and housing (aluminum), fan clutch, water pump, hoses. I cant think of anyother items I can replace. I did replace the can position sensor (not as bad as most said).

Now keep in mind the car would make it 1/2 mile and spring to the red. I can now make it 10miles. Currently the car will sit at idle for an hour no problems, drive it and 8 to ten miles later it jumps to the red. I have bleed the system each time and when the car cools the water level seems to bit lower but still very close(Ithink when I open the bleeder and the stean comes out it looses a bit of water).

I read the headgasket therory and haveing a hard time with this one. The oil is free on water and the coolent has no oil. The tail pipe is clean, no white smoke. The heater works great, the car runs great! (for 10 miles).It has 128k miles. I dont mind changing the head gasket but I am running out of motivation when the results dont seem to change.

I have a friend who said to remove the stearing wheel and drive a volvo underneath it. I realy hate that guy.

HELP ME PLEASE!

1998 528I 5speed standard 129k miles

Mike

fly@pacbell.net

Last edited by fly; 09-30-2008 at 10:25 PM. Reason: additional info
fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1984 325e 1995 318ti
Photos:
OICU812 is on a distinguished road
Hi Fly and welcome, I have a FJ-40 Landcrusier, it acted the same way. The radiator was clogged and couldn't get the flow it needed at speed. Hope that helps.
OICU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
fly
n00b

Car:
Photos:
fly is on a distinguished road
Unhappy the overheating mystery

Unfortunatly the car tested to be the headgasket. Sucking air into the cooling system. FYI I didnt realize the test for this is simple. They test the coolent for carbons. Why wasnt this done when the first thermostat was replaced. I highly recomend this test before spending any money on repairs.

Thanks for the help.

I am going to attempt this myself. Any recomendations for a good guide with photos? All advice welcome, Please!

fly
fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In