Which One: E46 M3 or E92 335i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
New Members Check In come in say hello...

View Poll Results: E46 ME or E92 335I
E46 M3 1 100.00%
E92 335I 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 01:27 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Joel_M is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Which One: E46 M3 or E92 335i

guys I am new to the forum. I just wanted to introduce myself, along with get a bit of feedback from you all. Currently I am in the Virginia Beach area in VA. My current vehicle is an 03 Subaru WRX, and honestly I do love the car, hopefully wont receive any hate. I am looking into a new purchase, and am torn between an E46 M3 or E92 335i. I know it is a highly debated topic, and have read throughout forums about them, mainly on the (M3) forum so maybe a little biased lol, so I am looking for a bit more unbiased info.
Truly in my head I want the M3, but 335 is really close. Here is what is going through my head. I know ///M is top of the line, and now that I have a WRX, and did not get the STi I feel like I regret a bit not going for it, so thats also in my head. I would really appreciate the feedback. Thanks

Also for performance wise, I know you can chip the 335 for cheap, and have it run with the M. Which one is the better bang for your buck, as I know the M3 also comes with the LSD, suspension etc. But unfortunately I am not in an area with too many twisties, so for straight line, would the chipped 335 prevail for $400 as supposed to $10000 HPF Kits for the M3. Also with the supporting mods with the chip will it come close to the HPF Kit? Lastly are these cars reliable under this much power for a DD.

Pros of M3
- It's an ///M
- More raw power
- Handling/ Suspension
- Naturally Aspirated (could be pro or con) Im biased a little as I have turbo now
- Agressive Body style
Cons of M3
- Price difference (not a big difference, but for year vs mileage mainly)
- Reliability
- Maintenance costs

Pros of 335
- Newer
- Cheaper (more so in maintenance costs)
- Latest Technology
- Reliability/less mileage
- Twin Turbo
- Sleek, luxury look
- Daily drivability
- More torque
- Warranty
Cons of 335
- Not an ///M (I know it's a diff. class)
- Less raw
- Suspension compared to M3 (granted majority of time I will be going in a straight line)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 01:30 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Also a key point I would like more info on would be reliability/maintenance costs. I understand for most cars its how you drive. I don't plan on tracking any of the cars. They will most likely be a DD, and I don't mind a stiffer ride with the M3. But what I haven't heard much was actual info about the maintenance costs. Only things I have heard has been $300 oil change/ $1000 brake pads for the M3. Have heard about recalls on them as well.

Lastly coming from an AWD car, I love it. so what are the thoughts about 335xi?
#3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 05:22 PM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
M3. Because race car.

Pick the M3. I prefer the styling of the E46 over the E92 any day. Ya the 335i is almost as fast, but it's still not an M3. Their are tons of people with E90's but only a handful own a BMW Motorsport car.

The E92 is brand new and has newer technology. Which to me means more things that are going to go wrong and cost an absolute reardrd amount of money to fix. The E90s come with run flat tires and they are horrendous. You don't get a spare tire either. Some people like em, but I hear of a lot of people swapping them for normal tires. An E46 is much more DIY friendly. The oil change is NOT $300 on an M3. It could be if you go to the dealership. Their less then $100 if you do it yourself. Did you know that the E90 series has no dipstick? You have to add oil, drive a bit, check the OBC, and repeat if nessecary. The dealer may have to drive your car 5, 10, 15 miles depending on how much topping off they need to do.

AWD is great if you live in a place with snow and bad weather. But then you will need a set of winter tires as well to maximize your stopping distance.

Any other questions? Let us know!

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 08:08 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
M3. Because race car.

Pick the M3. I prefer the styling of the E46 over the E92 any day. Ya the 335i is almost as fast, but it's still not an M3. Their are tons of people with E90's but only a handful own a BMW Motorsport car.

The E92 is brand new and has newer technology. Which to me means more things that are going to go wrong and cost an absolute reardrd amount of money to fix. The E90s come with run flat tires and they are horrendous. You don't get a spare tire either. Some people like em, but I hear of a lot of people swapping them for normal tires. An E46 is much more DIY friendly. The oil change is NOT $300 on an M3. It could be if you go to the dealership. Their less then $100 if you do it yourself. Did you know that the E90 series has no dipstick? You have to add oil, drive a bit, check the OBC, and repeat if nessecary. The dealer may have to drive your car 5, 10, 15 miles depending on how much topping off they need to do.

AWD is great if you live in a place with snow and bad weather. But then you will need a set of winter tires as well to maximize your stopping distance.

Any other questions? Let us know!
Thanks so much for the feedback. As for the body style you know at first I def. liked the E46 by far over the E92, but I'm not going to lie it has grown on me a bit. I still love the E46 body style over though, so you do have a point. New technology can be a +/- as it is newer and advanced, but as you pointed it, if it does break then its prob going to be an arm and leg to repair, but that also goes with the twin turbo, im sure to some it could be a +/- as wastegate problems could arise which are things you don't have to worry about in NA. But what if these problems don't come up?

You are right though, there are not many who have the ///M on their side, and 20 years down the road I own a M car which granted would be most likely around 06 or I can say I owned a newer 335. The M def has its social class.

Now that I have moved from the Northern part of VA, winters are not bad down by the water, and would prob necessarily need the AWD or winter setup too much. Coming from an AWD car it is nice to have though.

I didn't know about the dipstick, that just seems silly. I am fairly new to working on cars even more to BMW scene, so the DIY would take a lot of trial and error. Oil change I could do though, but I heard brake pads are $1000 etc.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 08:22 PM
4DoorWhore

Look at prices of the E36. The M3 still sells for more money then a 328i. I'm sure ittl be the same in a few years time with the E46. 335s are gonna be as common as the E36 328i was.

Im not worried about stuff like the waste gate. I'm worried about the electronic stud. In te E60 and E90 when you replace the battery you have to reset the computer due to the charging system in the car. If iDrive fails its insanely expensive to fix. They are run flat tires so they have the Tire Pressure Monitoring System or TPMS for short. Ask how much those sensors are when they fail! The E90 was designed to be as less DIY friendly as possible so BMW could make more money. It may come with a warranty but I think warranties are a joke. It's 100% profit for the dealer. I've heard some pretty bad stories of things dealers have done to customer cars, and refusals to honor warranty work.

The E46 is not bad for DIY work. All the basic mechanical stuff can be accomplish with a 200 peice tool set from Walmart, a floor jack and some Jackstands. I don't like paying someone else $100 an hour to fix my car when I could do it myself for free. It may take me longer to do it myself but it's $100 more in my pocket.

If your still thinking of an E46 google Active Autoworks E46 supercharger. That will probably sell you in seconds! Haha.

Here is the link to ECS Tuning's brake pads for the E46 M3. The most expensive pads are $192 and those are racing pads. It may cost you $1,000 for pads AND rotors and labour but not just pads.
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-.../Braking/Pads/

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 08:34 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
Look at prices of the E36. The M3 still sells for more money then a 328i. I'm sure ittl be the same in a few years time with the E46. 335s are gonna be as common as the E36 328i was.

Im not worried about stuff like the waste gate. I'm worried about the electronic stud. In te E60 and E90 when you replace the battery you have to reset the computer due to the charging system in the car. If iDrive fails its insanely expensive to fix. They are run flat tires so they have the Tire Pressure Monitoring System or TPMS for short. Ask how much those sensors are when they fail! The E90 was designed to be as less DIY friendly as possible so BMW could make more money. It may come with a warranty but I think warranties are a joke. It's 100% profit for the dealer. I've heard some pretty bad stories of things dealers have done to customer cars, and refusals to honor warranty work.

The E46 is not bad for DIY work. All the basic mechanical stuff can be accomplish with a 200 peice tool set from Walmart, a floor jack and some Jackstands. I don't like paying someone else $100 an hour to fix my car when I could do it myself for free. It may take me longer to do it myself but it's $100 more in my pocket.

If your still thinking of an E46 google Active Autoworks E46 supercharger. That will probably sell you in seconds! Haha.

Here is the link to ECS Tuning's brake pads for the E46 M3. The most expensive pads are $192 and those are racing pads. It may cost you $1,000 for pads AND rotors and labour but not just pads.
OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning
Yeah the run flats I heard are a nightmare, as a friend of mine recently got an e92 335, and attempted to change the tire or something, and the sensor kept going off and he had to sand it down or something of the sort to keep the problem from happening.

The supercharger is beautiful, how does it compare to the HPF turbo minus about 1500 or so. And how do these compared to the infamous jb3 or jb4 chip for the 335 I hear makes the 335 a "M Killer"
#7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 08:54 PM
4DoorWhore

The AA Superchargers are amazing. 400+ HP easy! A supercharged E46 will take a chipped 335i any day of the week. I believe the E46 is a more reliable car then the E90. I think their funner and a better driving experience.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In