No Vroom Vroom :( - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
New Members Check In come in say hello...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 04:25 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nekkidhuntress is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question No Vroom Vroom :(

Just dropped in to see if there is anyone on this page that can help me out.

I've had my 95 M3 E36, Manual transmission, for two years now and have NEVER had a single problem with it until now.

I park the car on Friday to do some shopping on the hottest day of the summer (103 degrees). I come out, put the key in the ignition, turn her over and nothing. Not even a click, click. I've got power. The radio, air-conditioner, light, windows all work. All the idiot lights come on and stay on.

So, I call a few BMW shops to find out what might be the problem. The answer I hear the most is "bring her in and we'll diagnose the problem". I know this seems reasonable to most, but I've been so ripped off before. I finally get to shops to give me a possible.

The first one says that because I've got power and everything works, then it must be something deep, like the brain (cringe..) Do you really think so?

The second shop seems to be more knowledgeable and certainly willing to answer my questions. He indicates that it is probably the starter (cringe again..), because it's not in an easy spot to get to.

My manual states the other alternative is the neutral safety switch. So I call around again and am told twice that my car doesn't have one????

Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited by nekkidhuntress; 08-18-2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: OOPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 04:36 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Hmm...Sounds like the starter to me.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 06:25 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
No Neutral Safety???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Prof View Post
Hmm...Sounds like the starter to me.
So, does this car have a neutral safety switch or not? The manual shows one on the shifter linkage on the side of the transmission, but the manual is so confusing that I'm not sure it's talking about my car or not? How do I know if it's the switch or the starter?
#4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
Nope... your dont have one only the Automatics...

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 12:05 AM
5th Gear Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Arrow

check battery terminals. are they clean and tight on the posts? if yes...

tell me something... look at the idiot lights, and switch the ignition to START. do the idiot lights dim at all?

if they dim, then chances are it is the starter/solenoid;

if it doesn't dim, then it's possibly the starter relay(might even be the key switch itself)

Good Luck
#6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 12:04 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Not The Starter After All

First, let me say thank you for all your ideas on the problem with my car not starting.

The funny thing is that I left out information that I had no idea was relevant. My door locks had been giving me a hard time for a few weeks before the incident. I have only one key for my car, but it has never opened my trunk. The key goes in, but will not turn? Should there be a seperate trunk key?

Anyway, the day before my posted incident, I went grocery shopping and locked my car as usual. When I came out, I unlocked my doors and the trunk would not unlock. Grrr. Put the groceries in the backseat and headed home.

The next day was the day of my incident. It also happened at a grocery store. I tried to unlock the trunk again before I went into the store. No go, so figured I would use the backseat again My car would not start upon
my return, hence my post.

I did as you all suggested and there was 12V at my starter and I couldn't figure it out. I fiddled with the locks some more trying to unlock the trunk a few more times. I was going to put it in the shop to fix both problems and decided to try starting it one last time. IT STARTED! Ran great for two weeks and then, again, at Walmart, late at night, in the rain. IT WOULD NOT START!

My man was fuming and then he started thinking...He took the key out of the ignition, put it in the driver door and clicked it back and forth a few times. I rolled my eyes during this procedure (No way was it a lock issue) Then he handed me the keys and IT STARTED!

So, the end to the long story is that the anti-theft device thought the car was still locked and would not let it start. I have a friend replacing lock mechanisms and checking the situation out. Until then, I will not lock my car.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
^ nice glad to hear it was that easy!!!

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 10:25 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Teh Wierdz.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 12:39 PM
General Chaos

SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
i think it might be the anti theft

Sponsored Links
Advertisement