Newbie in TX - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
New Members Check In come in say hello...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 01:20 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ztitans1 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question Newbie in TX

Hello all. I hope to be able to learn some things that I can do to care for my BMW. I cannot afford to pay the shop rate so I look to do my own repairs when necessary. I have a 1997 BMW 528. It is fairly straight black paint and beige leather interior.

I have some minor issues then tonight a major hickup. It seems my car when in Drive would not shift out of 2nd gear. I had to manually drop it down to "3" to shift up from "2" although the shifter was in "D" as my car was driving in "2". I hope this is not a sign my transmission is toast.

The minor issues are indicator saying tail light is out when all bulbs are working, brake warning light is on when I just recently installed new front brake pads. Check engine light is staying on although the code was for fuel injectors and they are clean and appear to be working properly. DUNNO...

I have noticed the trim around the bottom of the seats is junk in most of these cars...breaks easily I guess.

Would appreciate any tips you guys can share...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 02:33 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
not to worry my newbie member...we have at least four members in TX that i can think of right now. (it's 0230 hrs right now lol sorry)

give it time my friend, and your questions should be answered.

and welcome btw

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztitans1 View Post
Hello all. I hope to be able to learn some things that I can do to care for my BMW. I cannot afford to pay the shop rate so I look to do my own repairs when necessary. I have a 1997 BMW 528. It is fairly straight black paint and beige leather interior.
Welcome! I assure you will learn plenty here at the Werkz. I myself am a proud E39 owner and I spend a lot of time taking things apart and putting them back together. I'll help you any way I can.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
I have some minor issues then tonight a major hickup. It seems my car when in Drive would not shift out of 2nd gear. I had to manually drop it down to "3" to shift up from "2" although the shifter was in "D" as my car was driving in "2". I hope this is not a sign my transmission is toast.
I know the transmission in your car is a GM (as is mine) and it sounds like you might want to get your transmission serviced. I would get the old fluid flushed and have it replaced with new synthetic fluid. I believe that would be the best place for you to start. If this doesn't help anything it sounds like the transmissions "brain" might need to be reprogrammed or replaced because this transmission is electronically controlled.

Quote:
The minor issues are indicator saying tail light is out when all bulbs are working, brake warning light is on when I just recently installed new front brake pads. Check engine light is staying on although the code was for fuel injectors and they are clean and appear to be working properly. DUNNO...
My car will occasionally tell me I have a bulb out and I won't. Typically I'll just remove the bulbs and reinstall them and everything is okay after that. The reason your brake warning light is on is likely because your brake pad sensors were not replaced. You should replace the brake pad wear sensor every time you change your brake pads. The CEL is something I cannot comment on because I can't physically see your car. There could be a possibility that your fuel pump is faulty.

Quote:
I have noticed the trim around the bottom of the seats is junk in most of these cars...breaks easily I guess.
Yes, this is a common issue. The paint on mine has chipped off but I'm making it a spring project to do something cool with them. Honestly, out of all potential issues you seem to be having I would worry about this the least as it is the easiest/cheapest thing to fix.

Best of luck and if you have any questions post in the 5-series section of the forum.

Also, if you have any part questions, refer to realoem.com. You can pretty much find anything you want about your car there. Click Here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In