BMW Werkz banner

Newbie here....need help

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  SRoush 
#1 ·
:)Hello. I was happy to find this forum today. I am a long time BMW enthusiast and have owned many Beemers in the past. I currently drive a 1990 735i and today when I got into my car and started it, it blew smoke and smelled like something electrical was on fire. I have tried searching the forum here but no luck yet. Can anyone post a thread link for me if you find any answers for me?:help

#2 ·
:welcome to bimmerwerkz

The boyz and men that end a helping hand to help out with diagnostix are only as good the way you describe your problem. you'll have to be more descriptive... i.e. smoke in what area...? smell of electrical short circuit? which part of the car?

Offhand... check all your fuses look around and check for burned wires also & let us know. Someone here is always willing to share a thought or a way towards the solution of ur prob ;-)

#3 ·
Your right, I need to be more descriptive. The smoke was blowing out the middle air vent just above the stereo. It was thick and dark, then it just quit after about 3 seconds. I don't know how to go about taking the dash apart to see anything. Can anyone point me in the direction of a parts breakdown or something? I checked the fuses, they are all good. The smell was like burnt wiring or something electrical. Also, my fan blows whether I have it in the on position or not. Sometimes when I start the car it comes on, blows and then turns off all while the switch is in the OFF position. Is that normal? This is the newest BMW I have owned so all the bells and whistles have me slightly perplexed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.