New to the world of BMW - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

New Members Check In come in say hello...

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2006, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
chknhwk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to chknhwk
New to the world of BMW

In an effort to increase my speeds at the track I decided to get rid of my antiquated sports car and buy an even older BMW. A 1986 325es, in fact.
So, since I've never owned a BMW before, I'm here to learn about these cars, find out what makes them go fast(er) reliably, and find the best places to find said parts.
The car is need of several parts and I've listed them on my site: /bmw/about.html
:
Like I said, I'm new and I'm looking for as much information as possible. Racing season has already started and I've done nothing since purchasing the car. I'd love to get it track ready by June but I don't see that happening...

JOHN
chknhwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2006, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to bimmerwerkz.

325es is a great car, but it was built for economy, not speed ... as such, I doubt it's ever going to be a track star unless you do a s50 swap etc. They handle great, but the power is lacking in order for it to be fast.

Anyway, why didn't you get a 325is ? 50 hp more, LSD, sports seats, ... the whole 9 yards, stock.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
General Chaos

Car: ///M3,Corolla
Photos:
SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
welcome dude,

i checked ur site, so i dont get exactly what ur looking for...

i noticed u need brakes and rotors though, they have a great deal at www.performancepartsstore.com

for the brake lines, ebay

for the bushings, check www.bimmerworld.com

basically for everything else, check turnermotorsports.com, uucmotorwerkes.com, activeautowerkes.com,bimmerworld.com,bimmerzone.co m

forgive me if i forgot anysites...
Old 03-30-2006, 11:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
my car is red

Car: 94 325i, 84 325e
Photos:
94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 94BMW325i Send a message via Yahoo to 94BMW325i
oh yeah just to let you know I think the site is actually uucmotorwerks.com

member and partial creator of pimpin the auto club
94BMW325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Car: '86 325es, '87 535is
Photos:
ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
I have an '86 325es too. Like everyone said, it's not exactly a track star. Until you put an S50 in it. I hope to do that soon. $$ is the big factor right now. Post some pics of your car! if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
www.bavauto.com and www.pelicanparts.com are nice too. There isn't too much that you can't get from one of those two sites. Good thing we still have a good following for E30's!
later!

p.s. cool website!
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
ldsbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Car: turbo e36 325/s50 and e46 330xi
Photos:
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
welcome to bimmerwerkz
Old 03-31-2006, 08:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Been here a while.

Car: Blah
Photos:
97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Welcome to the site.. nice to have you.

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
97alpineM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 09:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car:
Photos:
dutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dutchbmw
Welcome aboard!
Originally Posted by Torque
I was just dropped off here by aliens one day. They got bored with me.
dutchbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Thanks everyone and thanks for the props on my site. It's my general design but it's not done yet and I didn't write the code, a buddy of mine did. Just can't seem to get the hang of HTML. used:
Anyway, I thought the es was the car to have, not the is?? Where can I find a technical breakdown of the differences between the two? I picked the car up for $1100 and I don't plan on leaving the engine alone so all in all I think it is a better starting point than where I was (1998 Mustang Cobra that had gobs of torque but couldn't turn and a 1998 SVT Contour that had gobs of torque, cornered like a maniac but broke down CONSTANTLY). :lol:
Pretty much everything listed on my site is everything I need to be able to track the car reliably that I know of. If these cars have any issues that I don't know of I'll find out. What types of things warrant keeping an eye on? I know this is a pretty broad question but I really don't know where else to start. Search terms I've been using are 'E30' and '325es'. I don't really know how else to classify it...

EDIT: PS>What is the S50 engine and where can I find a breakdown of all the engine codes?

Last edited by chknhwk; 04-02-2006 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
Look at this: http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/enumber.html << It has a chart for most of the E and M (engine) numbers. The s50 is the engine from a e36 m3 -- a very popular swap.

325es was a 2.7 liter version of the m20 that the 325is got ... it had a lot of torque but little horsepower and as you know it redlines at 4500 rpm ... it was built for economy. The 325is got the 2.5 liter version of the engine with 170 hp, etc. I'm sure the link I posted will give you some info on e30s and es/is differences if you click the e30 page.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Welcome
Old 04-02-2006, 11:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Car: turbo e36 325/s50 and e46 330xi
Photos:
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
Quote:
Originally Posted by chknhwk

EDIT: PS>What is the S50 engine and where can I find a breakdown of all the engine codes?
actually s50 is the engine code for the euro version of the obd1 M3 , we north americans say s50 even though technically the obd1 M3 engine here is M50/B30.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Ah. Sounds expensive...
Old 04-06-2006, 12:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque
Look at this: http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/enumber.html << It has a chart for most of the E and M (engine) numbers. The s50 is the engine from a e36 m3 -- a very popular swap.

325es was a 2.7 liter version of the m20 that the 325is got ... it had a lot of torque but little horsepower and as you know it redlines at 4500 rpm ... it was built for economy. The 325is got the 2.5 liter version of the engine with 170 hp, etc. I'm sure the link I posted will give you some info on e30s and es/is differences if you click the e30 page.
So what do you guys think about an S52 engine sold here on the forums?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In