New to me - 306,000 Miles - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
New Members Check In come in say hello...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 12:45 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
EricBimmer22 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question New to me - 306,000 Miles

Hello to all BMW enthusiasts. I have been looking for a BMW to tinker with and finally found one on eBay. Itís a 95 325i Auto, very nice condition, however it has 306,000 miles. Was this a stupid move on my part? I've been a Honda guy for most of my life, but always envied BMW owners because I could never afford one. I could afford this one, obviously because of the miles. Am I going to be in a world full of repairs? Are there any other 300K BMW owners that would like to comment? Thank you for your time and I look forward to talking to you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 07:22 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
If it's been well taken care of, you should be fine. I guess item number one I'd be worried about is whether the auto tranny fluid has been changed regularly.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBimmer22
Hello to all BMW enthusiasts. I have been looking for a BMW to tinker with and finally found one on eBay. Itís a 95 325i Auto, very nice condition, however it has 306,000 miles. Was this a stupid move on my part? I've been a Honda guy for most of my life, but always envied BMW owners because I could never afford one. I could afford this one, obviously because of the miles. Am I going to be in a world full of repairs? Are there any other 300K BMW owners that would like to comment? Thank you for your time and I look forward to talking to you all.
Hell and welcome.

It all depends on how well it was maintained ... yes, it's gonna be a world full of repairs, but that's true even with 2 year old BMWs, so nothing extraordinary there.

As far as if it was a smart move ... all depends on how well it was maintained and how much you paid for it.

#4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 12:00 PM
For Teh Walrus?

WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to WALSRU Send a message via MSN to WALSRU
From personal experience, if you're spider senses start tingling when you see the car in the flesh . . . you can back out. I'm happy with my ebay car, but I threw way more money at it than I should have.

Welcome BTW!

"I would not know what the spirit of a philosopher might wish more to be than a good dancer."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

1980 635csi Euro . . . Current
1985 535i . . . Soon to be parted out
2001 Subaru Forester . . . DD
#5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 02:10 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Welcome. The maintenance the car has received thus far will determine how painful and or expensive your ownership experience will be.

I agree that the main concern should be whether the automatic tranny has been serviced adequately.

#6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 03:56 PM
n00b

EricBimmer22 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll definately look into the tranny fluid. I think I got a great deal on the car, so if I do have some repairs I'll still be a little ahead. No one yet has stated on their cars having high miles, anyone near 300,000 or even more?
#7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBimmer22
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll definately look into the tranny fluid. I think I got a great deal on the car, so if I do have some repairs I'll still be a little ahead. No one yet has stated on their cars having high miles, anyone near 300,000 or even more?
We have a 90 535 with 242k; I've seen plenty of bimmers near the half million mark; as far as the engine is concerned, you have nothing to worry about.

try to find out if the filter/fluid was changed in the tranny and change it if it hasnt been recently and thats it.

automatic transmissions and suspension bushings are the weakest points on those cars; the latter is not very expensive, it can just be a nightmare to track down which needs replacement at times.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In