New from the Inland Empire in California - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
New Members Check In come in say hello...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 04:44 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CaliFly is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
New from the Inland Empire in California

Hello all!

I drove a 325 back in college, I've been waiting for the day when I would once again own The Ultimate Driving Machine. I'm currently in the market for either an E43 or an E39 (2001-2003 vintage). I've found an absolute pristine 2001 540i /6 with a tick over 70K miles. Suspension and steering are tight, and the cooling system is still intact. By all accounts it's priced to steal, and I should buy now with the cash in hand.

But something is holding me back and making me think about looking hard for a 330ci or 530i (either MT or AT flavor). Maybe it's a fear of poor gas mileage or possible higher maintenance costs. I'm coming from a Nissan Titan 4x4 Crew Cab so in all actuality my fuel economy would increase....but not by much. But there is still some nagging feelings of negativity from having to replace rear tires twice a year, possible poorer handling compared to the E39 I6's as well as a plethora of electrical problems laying in wait at mile 100K.

What say you good people of the board? I'm smart enough to know that I don't really need the approval of strangers on an interweb message board...but it sure is fun, isn't it?

Cheers,

Fly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:10 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Happy hunting!

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 09:27 PM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
Tyre wear does come down to the weight of your right foot to some extent. Welcome to the Werkz and good luck
#4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Welcome to the Werkz! I wouldn't worry too much about electrical issues as long as the car has been maintained and taken care of. The 540i 6 is pretty sweet and if it's in good shape and has maintenance records to boot I'd definitely go for it. Happy hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In