new here- question on my 53i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

New Members Check In come in say hello...

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
530iqueen is on a distinguished road
new here- question on my 53i

Hi all,
I am new here and am so glad I found this site!

I need some advice if possible.

I have a 2004 530i. The heard a chirping sound when my ac turned on. The dealer told me I need a new ac compressor. Going to cost me 1500.00. ( i have no warranty)

I was shocked at the price and was wondering:

1. - Is it worth getting this work done at another car repair place that is not a dealer.

2. Can I drive the car safely without the air on ( too bad it is almost summer here in philly)

3. Can you disconnect the air conditioner

Thanks for any help
530iqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
german-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant future
first off, welcome.

now, to answer your questions.

Most dealerships hit you for around $75-$100 an hour simply for labor, definitely check into some independent import mechanics in your area, chances are you will find a better rate.

If the chirping sound is only when you have the AC on, you can drive it anywhere you want with the AC off. It won't hurt the car at all, and you might even wind up getting better gas mileage.

You can disconnect the AC, but why? Just don't run the AC and roll a window down.

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
german-speed-demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
530iqueen is on a distinguished road
Thanks so much

The dealer told me to only go local without running the ac, that even with not turning it on it will hurt the car. I tended not to believe that!
As for unplugging the ac, my problem is ever time I start the car, the ac automatically comes on, hence me hearing that repulsive chirping sound. The dealer said it is 495.oo to update the software. Gosh where does it end.
530iqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
german-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant future
automatic climate control? hmm not too familiar with that. i would think you can shut that off somehow...

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
german-speed-demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In