New Guy Looking For Purchase Suggestions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
New Members Check In come in say hello...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 11:23 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
zzzjoe is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
New Guy Looking For Purchase Suggestions

Great site everyone. I've always wanted a BMW and want to get serious about finding one. My budget is $15000 and I am not the diy type (wait! I can wash and wax!) and don't have loads of $$ to spend on repairs.

Does anyone have a model/year they would recommend? Or can you point me to the right forum for recommendations? I commute about about 80 miles a day and would like something comfortable.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Neutral Member

mtccl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzjoe View Post
Great site everyone. I've always wanted a BMW and want to get serious about finding one. My budget is $15000 and I am not the diy type (wait! I can wash and wax!) and don't have loads of $$ to spend on repairs.

Does anyone have a model/year they would recommend? Or can you point me to the right forum for recommendations? I commute about about 80 miles a day and would like something comfortable.

Thanks in advance!
2000 325i with about 60,000 miles is in your price range and should be reliable enough for your skill level

2002 BMW 330XI
1988 Porsche 944
#3 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 09:15 PM
W00T

Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Numark318i
^agreed with him.

60k is good mileage. dont get one over 100k cause problems do start, and without DIY knowledge/willingness youll be up a creek.

330 is a little faster, but i would stick with the 2.5liter 325.

also might want to look at a 525. they are a little larger.

#4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:42 AM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
I would say a 323i 325i or 330i what are you looking to use the car for? what do you bring to work? need more info

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 07:12 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtccl View Post
2000 325i with about 60,000 miles is in your price range and should be reliable enough for your skill level
You want me to find a 9 year old car with 60k miles on it? A bimmer no less. Thanks for the input but need more realistic suggestions please.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 07:15 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numark318i View Post
^agreed with him.

60k is good mileage. dont get one over 100k cause problems do start, and without DIY knowledge/willingness youll be up a creek.

330 is a little faster, but i would stick with the 2.5liter 325.

also might want to look at a 525. they are a little larger.
I have the willingness, a brain, and 2 hands but I don't want to invest in a boatload of tools. What kind of problems are you referring to? Tranny, belts?
#7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 07:20 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven View Post
I would say a 323i 325i or 330i what are you looking to use the car for? what do you bring to work? need more info
I'll be using it to commute 90 miles a day - all highway @ 80 mph. I bring to work my coffee and iphone that's about it. Looking for quiet, comfortable ride.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member

coolvegase34 is an unknown quantity at this point
get yourself a toyota corolla or nissan sentra. with a 90 mile a day commute, you are going to kill any car. Get yourself a bulletproof econobox that will not require any maintenance, beyond tuneups and oil changes. If you buy a bmw, you are going to hate it for the purpose that you want it for. It would be like buying a stick-shift corvette and sitting in traffic for an hour.
#9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 05:37 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvegase34 View Post
get yourself a toyota corolla or nissan sentra. with a 90 mile a day commute, you are going to kill any car. Get yourself a bulletproof econobox that will not require any maintenance, beyond tuneups and oil changes. If you buy a bmw, you are going to hate it for the purpose that you want it for. It would be like buying a stick-shift corvette and sitting in traffic for an hour.
Interesting, I was under the impression that Bmw's were built for the autobahn and last forever? Good marketing perhaps? I guess I have more homework to do. Thanks for the reply.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 04:32 PM
n00b

Rubofsnuff is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Deciding to get a BMW not really much different that getting married. You fall in love, tie the knot, the years pass, she gets more expensive to keep, you both get old, but you can't dump her because of the love that grows with time. By all means young man, get a BMW, but its cheaper to lease.
#11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

coolvegase34 is an unknown quantity at this point
you want him to lease with a 90 mile a day commute? Get a bmw, but only drive it on your weekend. These cars are somewhat reliable but have a lot of precision parts that require maintenance. The 5 series is more reliable than the 3.
#12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 06:11 PM
W00T

Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Numark318i
christ you guys.

90miles on highway wont be too hard on the car.

There are people on e46fanatics that have 250k on their 328's from highway mileg similar to that.

Maintenance issues on an e46 will include-
-window regulators
-cooling system overhaul(every 50-80 thousand miles, could be longer)
-Your control arm bushings should be fine with highway driving, but look at replacing those every 60k
-Random engine sensor failure (once every 50k)
-Dont get an automatic (seriously...don't do it)
-If you have a sport package get ready for $1000 for a set of rubber
-Other then that you are prolly fine.

#13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 11:15 PM
n00b

Rony_Coupe is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
I'll sell you mine for 15k.. 2003 330i 55k milles sport + premium package black on black..
#14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 11:34 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Quote:
Interesting, I was under the impression that Bmw's were built for the autobahn and last forever? Good marketing perhaps? I guess I have more homework to do. Thanks for the reply.
Read all the posts, but I think you'll get the idea that BMW's fare very well in long drives over very good roads. OH! Did anyone say autobahn? So, if the long driving is on good tarmac road, a BMW may well be what you want. But if fuel economy is more important, then the Nissan and Toyota suggestions may deserve a look.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Quote:
You want me to find a 9 year old car with 60k miles on it? A bimmer no less. Thanks for the input but need more realistic suggestions please.
What, you expect to find something new for 15k? If you want a 2 year old car with 10k miles for 15k, go buy a chevy.

You gotta pay if you wanna play.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In