New BMW owner - in trouble already - help, anyone? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
New Members Check In come in say hello...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 06:51 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bmw_novice is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
New BMW owner - in trouble already - help, anyone?

Hello fellow BMW owners,

After a long, long and excruciating search, I at last have a BMW (yay!). I recently bought a two owner (almost one owner) 1997 Bmw 328is with about 143K miles. First things first, I love it. Almost everything inside functions (well not the wiper fluid thingie, and the stereo display is fading out, but other than that, it is pretty good on the inside. A few flaws no doubt in the seats but nothing ungainly, ditto with the exterior as well. I bought it right away since it drove nicely - could not find any leaks or obvious problems either.

When I bought it I noticed that the serpentine belt had a few cracks and after the test drive, on the way home, I also noticed that as I went over bumps, there was a thump in the rear passenger side, along with a little shift in the steering. My guess was perhaps a rear shock mount and in a worse case scenario, a pair of new shocks.

Well speaking of shocks, when I took it to a local mechanic (not familiar with BMWs btw), he gave me a rude one and pointed out that the rear knuckles are all but gone, and the vehicle is a danger to drive! He does not exactly know what the part is called and where it may be available, but believes his labor to be no less than $ 450 including the serp belt, which too he said, was a pain in the rear to fix.

My problem/questions are - a) I cannot find anything called a rear axle knuckle for the BMW, all I can find is front steering knuckles. b) Should I go to someone else? c) Can anyone suggest what might be the problem?

Thank you very much, and may your Bimmers take you to glory!

BMW_N
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 02:03 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1BADBMR is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a rear shock mount to me.
I've had mines replaced 3x since owning my bimmer.
Take it to another shop that spceializes in BMW or european cars to get another opinion

PS, you should also check your cooling system and replace it with aluminum parts. It will fail on you eventually

Last edited by 1BADBMR; 11-02-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In