Invaluable info Here - thanks all! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

New Members Check In come in say hello...

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
voxleo is on a distinguished road
Invaluable info Here - thanks all!

Hi there-

Unfortunately, I am often researching on behalf of my partner, so I am probably not going to be able to do much more than leech info here (as my own heart belongs to Honda), but I actually joined up today to express my thanks to all of the members for sharing their experiences with repairing/maintaining their e36 bmw's. My hubby likes to work on stuff himself (easier on the cash flow) but doesn't like to do research (easier on the reading, more dramatic to say the car is a POS). I have managed to find solutions to 3 of his most recent aggravations on forums here and elsewhere when he was convinced something was going to have to be a fortune to fix or than the car was giving up the ghost a piece at a time. Of the three, the most arduous task was bleeding the coolant system!

Today I found a solution quite by accident; while attempting to ascertain whether the window glass we just bought on ebay was in fact compatible with his model (92 325i) I stumbled upon the highlighted post that addressed the wiring issue in the trunk hinge of the e36's and my jaw dropped open in shock as read the first post - then immediately ran out to the garage to inspect the situation (whereupon I found that he had already successfully installed the window) and gleefully informed him that I likely had the solution to his "possessed" electrical system and battery draining problem. Told him exactly where to look at sure enough those wires were all bare naked and shorting god knows what!

If it weren't for forums like these. . . well, I'd rather not even think about the alternative!

Cheers!
voxleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 01:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Welcome!

We're glad to help
Old 01-07-2010, 05:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
42, The meaning of life

Car: 2000 740iL Individual
Photos:
brettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nice
Welcome to the Werkz, maybe share the secret with the hubby after finding a few more solutions.
brettski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
german-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant future
give us time..bet we can transfer your allegiance to BMW

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
german-speed-demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mr. Clean

Car: Titanium Silver E39 / 2011 BMW M3
Photos:
BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by german-speed-demon View Post
Old 01-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by german-speed-demon View Post
absolutely dave...im yet to find a honda that brings the driving comfort, joy, options, and reliability that my 1987 BMW offers...

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotKRAUT View Post
...im yet to find a honda that brings the driving comfort, joy, options, and reliability that my 1987 BMW offers...
Ah, but have you really looked for one? Besides, love is blind anyways, and my Honda just... well, it fits me. I'm short, and I can still reach the pedals and see over the dash with no pillows (still need those to drive dad's old 914 porsche). The only time I considered straying from my 95 civic ex was when I saw a billboard ad for the 2006 civic si, but I didn't get to drive one, so at this point its just a physical attraction, and I was thinking of going hybrid after the wheels fall off my civic.

I did like hubbys old 318 though, much better than the 325i. Too bad it got mashed by a taxi...(but at least hubby didn't!)
Old 01-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettski View Post
...maybe share the secret with the hubby after finding a few more solutions.
No secret, actually. Been brow-beating him to search himself so I don't have to. He claims he doesn't think there will be any helpful info; I think he just hates to read (plus my SEO skills are a little sharper, so I do tend to get better results and less fluff; but hey, practice makes perfect, right?)
Old 01-08-2010, 12:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
OMFG another one!?

Car: 89 E30 325i, 2007 Honda
Photos:
witeshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nice
Honda makes among the best FWD cars anyone can find.

Sig by zeaq
witeshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Are the B'mers mostly RWD? If so I wonder if maybe that might be part of my partiality to my civvi - To be fair, though, when I bought it I was looking NEW, so a BMW wasn't likely in my price range, and the sporty coupe models which I think are sooo cute were absolutely unaffordable. But even if one of those were an option, it might have had some competition with the S2000 as well.

My requirements then were economy (off the lot and in use - ie gas mileage), reliable, and stylish (for me that means "not boxy"- my EX is the coupe model, basic black, no bling) which at that time translated pretty much into buying Japanese. I am of the general opinion that Nissans are all plastic and aluminum, Toyota's are just too blah, and I liked the handling on the Hondas much better than the others - tight without being high strung touchy. I did consider the Eclipse, and I can't remember why I went with Honda instead but it was probably the test drive was the decision make. It would also seem that it might be a genetic preference since Mom got a new Integra the same year (fire-engine red, though - too much for me)

Being a small (and in my opinion, attractive) female, I was primarily looking for a car that wouldn't have me standing by the side of the road with the hood up looking helpless. Having never seen a Civic in that condition, I figured it was a good bet. In fact, I remember my shock at seeing a couple guys pushing one down the street last year - until I saw the gas station on the corner.

Chad swears by his Bimmers, though, and perhaps with good reason. He had a 325i before the 318 that got totalled when a minivan turned left in front of him. Pretty spectacular accident: wheels flying off, fire (!), and some fairly serious injuries since I don't think anyone was wearing the seatbelt (Chad included). The lucky bastard walked away with a 2 inch chemical burn on the side of his thumb from the airbag deployment while locals went running for the fire extinguishers. Chad's pretty convinced that the BMW saved his life that day, and I'm not in a position to argue that point. I've put my EX through some trauma, but nothing like that...

I always was nervous in that 325 though, and hated driving it. When he got the 318 to take its place (turns out that the 6 cyl didn't matter, it was the body style he liked), I found that one much more comfortable to ride in and to drive. It handled much more like my car than the 325 and I could've definitely grown to love it. At least til the taxi turned left in front of THAT one...
Old 01-08-2010, 05:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
42, The meaning of life

Photos:
brettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxleo View Post
Being a small (and in my opinion, attractive) female, ...
Any photos??
Old 01-08-2010, 05:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
only if you go looking on the (*ahem*) right websites..
Old 01-08-2010, 05:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
42, The meaning of life

Photos:
what was that address again???
Are you the "Singaporean Voice"?
Old 01-08-2010, 05:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Actually no, but I've run across same when searching out a post that I had misplaced. It would seem that we, the lion-hearted, are at least of similar outspoken nature, however.

This is the first time posting under this username I have ever come across someone even aware of the other. I had previously used "Advocatus Leonibus" as my online alias, but it was much to cumbersome in the typing after awhile.

FWIW, Is she cute?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Mr. Clean

Car: Titanium Silver E39 / 2011 BMW M3
Photos:
BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxleo View Post
Chad swears by his Bimmers, though, and perhaps with good reason. He had a 325i before the 318 that got totalled when a minivan turned left in front of him. Pretty spectacular accident: wheels flying off, fire (!), and some fairly serious injuries since I don't think anyone was wearing the seatbelt (Chad included). The lucky bastard walked away with a 2 inch chemical burn on the side of his thumb from the airbag deployment while locals went running for the fire extinguishers. Chad's pretty convinced that the BMW saved his life that day, and I'm not in a position to argue that point. I've put my EX through some trauma, but nothing like that...
BMW's are pretty close to tanks. I was rear ended about 3 years ago by a new Volkswagen Jetta. She hit me hard enough that her airbag deployed and her hood actually flew up and crashed into her windshield. People rubbernecking to see the damage looked at her car first with a look of shock and then looked at my car and looked even more shocked because the damage on my car looked minimal compared to hers. This is a picture of the damage below.

It's still depressing to look at these photos but I'm convinced if I had been in any other car but a Volvo or a Merc there would have been much more damage.

Fun fact: You can almost read her license plate info imprinted onto my bumper.

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In