BMW Werkz banner

Hi from a newbie

3K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  dilaar 
#1 ·
Hi, just found this forum while looking for some E36 wiring diagrams - it sure looks helpful. I'm Dave from London, UK, and I got my first BMW (a 323i Coupe) in summer this year. For a 10 year old car I was surprised what I had been missing - a friend had been pestering me to get one for years. I fixed the common 'bouncy windows' problem, put on a new dent-free bootlid and am now hooked on doing my own fixes after years of paying someone else. So, I guess I'll be asking for lots of :help ! :)

#2 ·
Hello Dave, we're happy to have you. Many of us went through the same realization as you once we finally got ourselves behind the wheel of a BMW :)

Welcome to werkz. Lurk around and feel free to ask any questions you may have. Chances are, we'll have somebody here who will be able to help you out.

:welcome

#3 ·
i use to hate bimmers... and their drivers.... then I drove my friends 325ci that was modded by allison bmw and though hmmmm this it fun.... the she told me do go for it and with traction control of that thing was a monster. shortly later I was givin my e30and ever since I have been stuck...... these cars are addicting....

#8 ·
I had two problems - the clips that hold the support bar at the bottom of the window to the 'scissors' had started to break, so I replaced them and loaded them with grease. The other problem was that the scissors were pushing the glass outwards at the bottom, so when the window tried to go up, the friction would build up until it bounced back down. To fix this (very scientific) I loosened all the bolts that hold the support bar to the vertical runner at the back of the door, so it could flop in and out a little, then wound the window up and down a few times, so the mechanism moved where it wanted to. Then I just tightened the bolts again. So far it's been fine on both doors!

#11 ·
Heh, I only gave you half the story... :) I managed to get most of the clips off intact, and I had a few spares. First I took out the mirror switch, and the two small covers to take out the screws holding on the middle of the door card.

Then for the clips, I found a special tool, basically a piece of metal about 3/4 inch across, fairly thin, with a square notch cut in the end, and bent slightly about 2 inches from the end. Slide the tool behind the card at the edge. Once you get the clip in the notch, you use it like a crowbar and it pops out without ripping it from the card. I suppose a strong blunt knife would work as well, so long as it was right next to the clip..

The problem I had was the top of the card. There's a plastic moulding under it which reinforces the top, and holds it to the door via some different shaped metal clips. This basically fell off the card, so I used my mini-crowbar to pop it free afterwards, then used some strong epoxy glue to remount it on the card, and it's been fine since.

There's also a foam rubber shield under the card, which is glued on with some sticky stuff that never dries out, a bit like well-chewed gum. Remove it carefully in one piece, and you can just press it back on afterwards. Then you can get to the window components.

#12 ·
Greetings,
just joined... name's Mark, So Cal native, one of my cars is an '82 Polaris Metallic 320i 5spd. w/148,000 miles, and all original. Nice site!

#15 ·
Rennsurfer said:
Thanks for the welcome and the kind words, Da Bull.
That IS a snazzy car (LOL snazzy:rofl ) how long you had her/him?:)

#16 ·
AlpineSixAndSeven said:
(LOL snazzy:rofl )
snaz·zy (sn
z
) adj. snaz·zi·er, snaz·zi·est Slang; Fashionable or flashy.

I think it fits...
Bill

#17 ·
Just picked it up as a second car about three weeks ago. Been cleaning it a lot. It was sitting in a garage for a long time and stickers all over, huge Jensen speakers on the rear shelf, and I redid the exhaust outlet and also added a factory new tip from my local dealer. I love this car 'cause it's like my '87 Volvo wagon... everything is manual! No power, 'cept for the mirrors, but I can live w/that. HA!

Just tucked the front bumper, last night. Now all I need is to replace the reverse light switch and buy some Hella H4 & H1 headlights.

#18 ·
newbie also

Hello my name is John Lopez and I am new to this forum. I would like to tell everyone that I can help you with any of your interior problems. My family has been in the auto upholstery industry for over 40 years, Nacho's Auto Upholstery in North Hollywood Calif. So if you have any problems with your interior please let me know and I will try to help out the best that I possibly can. If you need interiors please check out my website
Superior Tops and Interiors | Your place for Tops and Interiors for Mercedes Benz, BMW, Porsche & Jaguars

Thanks
John

#22 ·
New Member....Boston area

I am waiting for '03 BMW 540i 6 spd to be delivered pending some delay at the dealer in finding the OEM replacement rims..(18x8 5 spoke alloys are apparently on back order from BMW; anybody hear about that?)....Looking forward to driving the 540i

Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.