Hi From Australia, Air Con problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
New Members Check In come in say hello...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 06:55 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sheppie is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Cool Hi From Australia, Air Con problem

Don't know how many Aussies there are here?, in any case its a bit of a worry with so many beamer issues.
Ive got an E70 X5, The problem I have is that there is no air to the driver and front passenger outlets.
AC works on all other outlets.

Have had the car for 3 years and sorted out most other issues such as clock resetting its-self (new battery fixed that one) and car dying/stopping dead on the highway with a christmas tree of failure lights on the dash (new alternator for that one).
happened while towing a caravan at night and with 2 young kids - much fun had by all....lol

getting back to the issue in question, is there a seperate air filter for the driver and front passenger outlets, I know when the pollen filter blocks up in Subaru's this exact fault develops. however I am of the impression that the x5 has only one pollen filter. please correct me if I am wrong.

apart from this it is a great car, love it.

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 08:17 AM
Captain... Savvy ?

Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
Welcome to Bimmerwerkz Sheppie...
Cannot help you but will look into it.
BTW, many Aussies here mate !

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
#3 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 03:19 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
Welcome to the Werkz. Always good to have another aussie onboard.

Have a look at RealOEM.com BMW E70 X5 4.8i Microfilter/housing parts

Riding in style
#4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 03:20 PM
n00b

Sheppie is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the hello
BTW Ive checked the fuses and all are OK, I suspect it is a faulty contact somewhere, am taking it to Bega BMW next week for to get serviced and get them to have a look at it.
What is the situation if they turn around and spend 3 or 4 hours on it and come up with no cure?
Am I required to pay for this, I mean im a sparkie and if I spent 4 hours at someones home and did not achieve a result for the customer I would not charge them for it.

Any idea on BMW's line on this scenario?
#5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 04:32 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
These cars are full of electronc wizardry which can go astray, it could be one of the control modules (which are all interconnected) playing up.

Riding in style
#6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 12:15 AM
n00b

hodgepodge is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard.

If the car goes into the garage, you are pretty much at their mercy whether they find anything or not. You might want to try getting a generic scan on the car before taking it into the shop. You may be able to do that at a parts store for free. Ask for an OBD scan. Generic OBD canners are cheap and a great way to help troubleshoot.
Lastly, if the dealer tells you your car needs a new brain (ECM) or something, go do some homework.

The obvious "is it plugged in" question is about the wheels that open and close the vents. 1 is open and 0 is closed. When the wheel is in the 1 position, can you see into the vent?

A couple of other things to try before you take it in to the dealer. First, do you get air from the vents in any conditions? Is there heat but no A/C? A completely whacked A/C system in a BMW will blow warm air all the time unless you physically close the vents. This is a "safety feature" so that if the system fails and you happen to be in antarctica, you won't freeze. Do you get cold air at the windshield or at your feet but just not from the main front vents? Does the"Auto" button on the AC get you something different than the individual manual settings? (I know you've got I-drive but you should still be able to set airflow manually.) OK, next thing. When you change the airflow around in the car (feet, windshield, front vents), do you hear dampers open or close on both sides of the car? Your car has two-zone (driver and passenger) A/C. If you hear dampers on one side and not the other, then it is likely that one or more damper motors are not working. Those things are a pain to get to and best left to a dealer, but if you can hear them working on one side and not the other, then you have a really good starting place. That's about all I can give you to try at the moment. Please report back on what you find out.

I hope this helps.

Current cars: '99 E39 wagon (200k+), '99 E36 Cabriolet (220k+), GMC Yukon Denali (186k+, but who cares?)
Prior BMWs: '99 E39 (120k), '94 E34 (220k), '93 E34 Touring (320k), '86 E30 (275k), 76 E12 (175k), '74 E10/model 115 (2002 tii) (110k)
BMW's run forever and the Internet is a nearly infinite resource. Use them both wisely for maximum enjoyment and return on your hard-earned cash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In