Here under false pretenses - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
New Members Check In come in say hello...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 10:34 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Italia is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Here under false pretenses

Thanks for the welcome guys and for the invaluable information on the Website. I am here under semi-false pretences as the only BMW the family is now owned by my daughter

My son's partner had a 10-year old BMW 316i compact. She had owned it for the past 7 years and it has only 95K miles on it.

The London garage that sold it to her have serviced the car on time without fail and stamped the book over those 7 years. She was trading it in [at the same garage] for a 2 year old Merc. They offered her just £300 for the BMW.

Son therefore offered the car to his sister for the £300, leaving me with the task of servicing it and putting it through the annual MoT. And that is where I went trawling for information on the car and discovered your Website.

Firstly I just could not free up the oil filter to change it. Ended up taking it to a garage friend who at first ridiculed me, and then having struggled with it himself, asked “What idiot serviced this? It’s only to be finger-tight plus a bit”

That was the first clue of past misdemeanours.

We then went on to find the garage had NEVER drained the water from the block (the water was filthy, rusty and had zero antifreeze content). All they had ever done was drain and change the water in the radiator. So that was flushed out and cleaned and refilled properly.

The same garage mate put the through MoT which involved, after diagnosis, changing the lambda sensor. Previous receipts showed the car had been fitted with a new cat 2 years ago and then another new cat under warranty at MoT time 12 months ago. Garage mate reckoned they had done this to get the car through the emissions test with an ultra-efficient brand new cat 2 years ago and then last year when that new cat was no longer so efficient, replaced the cat again. So it cost a new cat un-necessarily because they could not properly diagnose.

Anyway car is now fully legal, running smooth and clean with full service etc. Just needs some attention some time in the future on the electric windows which, I see from your Website, is a common problem.

Thanks for the help. Time for her to now enjoy it for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 10:41 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Amazingly dodgy service; I'm glad it worked out okay!

BMW

Sig by zeaq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In