Here I go again - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
New Members Check In come in say hello...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 09:16 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ursmkd is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Here I go again

I have my eyes on a 1981 528i ..nice solid car. The old car bug got me again.
Hello everybody, name is Paul. I own a few Audis, a Mercedes, and a 328is E36.
I do my own work and when in trouble I usually get advice from on one of the forums.
this is my first BMW forum venture... and after going through a few pages i decide to join.

Please do say hello along with advice on what should I worry if I purchase a 1981 528i 5 speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Welcome to the Werkz........ nice choice of cars!

jb

#3 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 10:05 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Nice collection,

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 12:15 AM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Welcome to the Werkz and glad you found a reason to join. I'm assuming your 1981 is an E12 and if that is the case I know some of the common issues with that generation of the 5-series were mostly electrical, the air conditioning was weak by American standards, and I know many parts of the the car had to be modified to bring it to USDM specs from DDM specs.

Some of those changes included bumper reinforcement (US regulations demand a bumper withstand a 5MPH impact with no damage to the cars body, the headlights had to be sealed, and I also believe the engines had to be modified to meet US emissions laws. However, you're lucky as the 528i was BMW's replacement to the 530i which suffered from issues related to emissions control and I know for a fact the 4 speed manual was replaced with the 5-speed manual in 1980.

Since your E12 is essentially a last year production vehicle I'd assume most of the issues were likely worked out in terms of annoyances. However, your car is 19 years old and it may suffer from issues here and there. Assuming it's been well maintained you should be fine. Any questions feel free to ask and I'm sure someone will answer your question.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 07:08 AM
n00b

ursmkd is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
yes..the car is i an E12. Very well maintained. It has some surface rust around the front blinkers,and rear license plate mounts. A beautiful red leather interior, power windows,mirrors, sunroof which all work. The owners says it needs a fuel pump because it has been sitting for a while. Where is that located? I am sure is not in the tank because it looks like it is a inline fuel pump. also where can i find a cheap replacement...or if anyone has a used one please send me a price.
PS: the car is 29 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In