Hello, my first BMW - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
New Members Check In come in say hello...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 12:20 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MattMann is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Hello, my first BMW

Hello all,

This weekend I'll be picking up my first BMW a 1978 BMW 633csi with 84,000 miles. Along with being my first BMW it will also be my first older car.

I've been reading about shop manuals/maintenance manuals for BMW's and I cant seem to find anything for the older ones. Any ideas for the '78 633csi?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 12:58 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
That might take some searching, best of luck and

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Welcome to the Werkz....... & good luck with your search!

johnny,

#4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 09:48 PM
n00b

phillybimmer01 is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the bimmer world.I'd try the haynes manual website.They usually manufacture alot of service manuals.That's where I got mine.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear Member

Steve323i99 is on a distinguished road
Check out books4cars.com they carry an assortment of older manuals, service manuals and other liturature about autos, and you might even be able to find the original brocher there too.

and

UUC TSE3 | ST V1 coilovers | TMS sways | CSL replicas 18"x8.5" | ATE slotted rotors w/ Axxis USP | Clear lights all around
#6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:02 PM
teh Canuck....eh

PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Welcome, MattMann. Any relation to the globe trotting, girl watching, drunk teasing Art Mann? lol

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
#7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
I have NEVER found a Shop manual for the 6 series.... You 6 series is E12 based as it is Pre 83 so a E12 5 series book would do for most of the car(some things are mounted a LITTLE differently but are in the same area) Oh and E12 based lowering springs are hard to come by so if you wanna lower your car and find a set get them ASAP because they're rare! What are your plans any pictures of the beast?

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 05:06 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the speedy replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatCat
Welcome, MattMann. Any relation to the globe trotting, girl watching, drunk teasing Art Mann? lol
No lol MattMann is just a combination of the first four letters of my first name and the last four letters of my last name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixandSeven
I have NEVER found a Shop manual for the 6 series.... You 6 series is E12 based as it is Pre 83 so a E12 5 series book would do for most of the car(some things are mounted a LITTLE differently but are in the same area)
Good to know I'll see what I can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixandSeven
Oh and E12 based lowering springs are hard to come by so if you wanna lower your car and find a set get them ASAP because they're rare! What are your plans any pictures of the beast?
Living in Alaska, most of the roads are crap so I wont be lowering the 633. This being my first older car and BMW im not sure what all is available for doing mod wise. The car is starting out in excellent condition with very little rust and only 84k miles. The engine has some kind of coolant leak possibly blown head gasket or warped head. So has been sitting behind the previous owners house since 1990 being carefully started and driven around lightly once each summer. Not sure if this was a good move by the previous owner.

My plan is to restore it to working condition, starting with the engine and the rest of the drivetrain, then breaks, suspension, ect. ect. all the good stuff. Then fixing the exterior aesthetics. The rear bumper has been damaged and bent and the paint isn't what I feel the car should look like so a repaint will be in store. I'm not loaded so it will be a long process as I will be attempting to do most of the work myself.

I'll attempt to post pics and updates throughout the entire process and will probably be on here frequently to ask questions.

Can't wait for the weekend to get here when I finally pick her up.
#9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 06:08 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Just posting some pics of my '78 633csi.

There is Alpina on the rear left corner of the car, but I have yet to check for the Alpina VIN. The paint scheme and everything about the car doesn't seem to be true Alpina from what little research I have done. If it isnt a true Alpina I will probably remove the "Alpina" from the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010013.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	27916   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010006.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	27917   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010008.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	27918   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010012.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	27919  
#10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 07:25 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Looks like a very nice car!

BMW

Sig by zeaq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In