hello i was wondering if anyone could help me haha - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
New Members Check In come in say hello...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 01:33 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
XachMan is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
hello i was wondering if anyone could help me haha

ok so im realitivly new to the whole bmw ownership and i just bought a 92 325 is with all intentions as a project car

at the momment it is not road worthy due to several problems that it is facing
the problems are as follows:
no power stearing
the alternator hums/squeels not sure if its just the pully or what
no turn signals
wiper switch dosnt work?

if anyone could help me it would be much apreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 02:18 AM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Bimmerwerrkz.

It has no power steering as in it leaked or their is no power steering pump?
Have you observed the pulley with it running to see if their is movement?
Check all your wiring, espcially the wiring loom going into the trunk. Its known to fray and short circuit causing a host of issues.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#3 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 02:33 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
for the power stearing im not even sure if it has leaked or if there is a pump or not i was told by the previous that they had just replaced it but hadnt added the fluid, snd if im not mistaken it takes atf oil?
for the alternator im not sure i was told that it could be a bad bearing and thats what causes the noise.
as for the wiring loom where at in the trunk is it located?
thats something that im going to have to look in within the next few days due to unceartian weather conditions
#4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 02:44 AM
4DoorWhore

The previous owner replaced the power steering pump but never refilled it? Wow. That woulda killed the sale for me on the spot. No fluid will kill the pump, and they are not cheap. I personally use Mobil 1 ATF in mine, but standard ATF is fine.

You will see the loom when you open the trunk. Its wrapped in black material. When you remove it and pull it out a bit you will see if their are any frayed wires. Its quite common on the older E36's because opening and closing the trunk stresses it out.

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 02:54 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
when i checked the fluid in the resivior this morining it was low, real low but still readable on the cap, is there a chance that as long as the car hasnt been driven to much that the power stearing pump is still in working order, if its not then i find my self heading to the junk yard, and pulling one that way as for the purchase for the car i bought it for less then $1000 i also checked fuses today and couldnt find any that where blown, had wires in the back shorted out wouldnt they of blown the fuses associated with them?
#6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 07:50 AM
4DoorWhore

Low isnt as bad as none. Now since it was run low i recommend replacing the resevoir. It has a non-serviceable filter in it, and your going to need to drain out the rest of the fluid before adding new fluid. Its highly recommended to always replace the resevoir when ever you have to flush the fluid. I got mine for $40. I also use Mobil 1 ATF for the PS because its the fluid i use in my transmission. Makes it easier to purchase, and i can save left over fluid for the PS should i need it.

The fuses might not always blow. My truck is having some electrical issues and i havent found a fuse that has blown yet. I gotta go and take a good look behind the dash just to make sure nothing has frayed. I believe mine is a relay issue. Pick up a voltmeter and check to make sure everything that isnt working has power. If it doesnt, why? Trace the wire and find out whats wrong.

#7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 11:19 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
ok so i had my mechanic put some atf fluid in, but by the time i got back to the car it had dumped it. so my next task at hand is to locate where it is leaking -.- also my break light have apeard to stop working i checked fuses and bulbs and both are fine unfortinatly the previous owner had put a sound system in and go figure its on the driver side where all the wiring for the tail lights go..... as for what ive been able to see of the wires they apear to be fine and when the alarm system is armed the tail lights flash, but only the ones that turn on from the light switch on the dash, the more and more i look int the car the harder im finding it to like sadly id like to post pictures from the trunk but all of my photos exceed the max file size limit.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 11:55 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

update:
ok found the issue with the brake lights the previous owner had pinched them while installing the aftermarket sound system with alittle bit of soder and shrink tubing i was able to get the brakes to work but so far i have yet to find any issues with wires for the turn signals going to order the relay for it from autozone hopefully i dont get pulled over within the next few weeks

Last edited by XachMan; 09-15-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: wrong term
#9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 01:22 AM
4DoorWhore

The power steering hoses from the resevoir to the pump are the ones that usually leak. I dont see the high pressure one leaking very often, if at all. The hoses are like $30ish.

I hate when people install aftermarket alarms and stereo's. I have seen way to many threads where the install has messed up an important vehicle system component. You may need to start tracing the wiring to see if their is any more like that.

#10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 08:02 PM
n00b

Korede68 is on a distinguished road
Hello Im new to this site! I do have a question...i have an 03 325i with oil separator each...what is that, and is it a DIY project?
#11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 08:10 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Unhappy just some more issues.

ok so im going to have to my project car off to the side for alittle while the ither day while driving it over heated on before i was able to safely turn it off
now i have a cracked head
thankfuly though i was able to find a salvage yard with a used m50 non vanos motor in stock
when doing the swap is there any thing that i should change while i have the new motor out ie parts that are prone to fail and hard/ costly to replace?
hopefully here within the next few weeks il have a solid driving car again.
#12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 10:20 PM
4DoorWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korede68 View Post
Hello Im new to this site! I do have a question...i have an 03 325i with oil separator each...what is that, and is it a DIY project?
Sorry, you didnt explain what the problem is. Is it replaceable? Yes. Should take about an hour if you have never done it before.

#13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 10:23 PM
4DoorWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XachMan View Post
ok so im going to have to my project car off to the side for alittle while the ither day while driving it over heated on before i was able to safely turn it off
now i have a cracked head
thankfuly though i was able to find a salvage yard with a used m50 non vanos motor in stock
when doing the swap is there any thing that i should change while i have the new motor out ie parts that are prone to fail and hard/ costly to replace?
hopefully here within the next few weeks il have a solid driving car again.
STARTER. Ive never replaced mine, but i hear it is a huge pain in the butt to do it with the motor in. Do it while its out for sure. Do a full coolant system refresh. Original alternator? I would. Anything that looks like it hasnt ever been replace and is starting to wear.

Feel free to paint the engine block. I know of a few guys that have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In