BMW Werkz banner

Hello to all bimmerwerkz members

3K views 24 replies 4 participants last post by  Ivan413 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm new here but I'm 17 and my DD is 95 e36 318i that I've been working on for the past few months doing some aftermarket parts but recently stopped spending money on parts for the car and was thinking about upgrading to the e36 m3. My 318i currently just hit 140k flat. Not sure if I should ride the 318i out for a while or upgrade to and m3 with around 176k. So I'm looking for some suggestions on what to do or should I dump some more money into my DD?

#4 ·
Welcome to the Werkz.

Its a substantial step up in performance and probably running costs, but if these aren't issues that are of any concern to you, then go for it, but make sure you do you homework on any car you look at. Don't be afraid to pay someone to look over the car properly and get a written report, it could be the best money you spend, especially if you don't end up buying that car.

#5 ·
#6 ·
I think at 17 you should hold off on an M3. I dont know you personally, so all i can do is state that when i was 17 an M3 would have been a bad idea. Now i understand some people are more mature then others at this age, but i would hold off on it. Please not that although the body styles are similiar, not all parts are interchangable. Most M3 parts are slightly more expensive for this reason.

I can understand why you want to switch, as the 318 is quite underpowered, but you would be better off with a facelift E36 328i. I wouldnt say an M3 has "3x" the power, as the US ones only have 280hp, while a 328i has 190hp and the 318 has 127hp.

#7 ·
I guess if you kept the 318i as your daily driver and the M3 for those special outings on a clear day it might work out ok, but I am thinking back to my days at your age and I probably wouldn't be around with that sort of power in a vehicle with a light body. Discuss it with your folks (responsible siblings and trusted friends) and see what they think of the idea.

It only takes one slip in concentration to change your life forever (and I don't mean for the better). Looking at the road toll in the US and it seems like a national hobby to clean yourselves up on the road in one way or another. I am not trying to rain on your parade, but if you do choose to proceed, get yourself involved with some instructor lead advanced/defensive driving courses where you can safely find your limits/weaknesses and then work on them without killing anyone.

Keep Calm and Chive On!

#8 ·
I know my parents wouldn't allow me to keep both cars so I'd have to decide between the two. I have never gotten a ticket or pulled over for speeding and if I do it's only 5-10 mph over so I'm pretty responsible and I've had my cars rear slip out many times in the rain and snow and I've drifted them back into full control and on top of that I've avoided quite a few accidents which none of them where my fault

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
So I was thinking that I could handle it if I took it slow for awhile until I got the feel for the car. I'm not trying to be mean or reject ur opinion because I know first hand that many kids really test their cars limits with racing and drifting and I don't do any of that and I have a part time job that I go to 30 hours. A week on top of high school and I have a 3.5 GPA. Idk maybe if you knew me better you might allow me to get an e36 m3

#10 ·
I wont even allow my own son to get an M3. He can start off with something less powerfull. However he is only 3, so i have a few years to go.

Ever see the video of the kid in the E46 M3 in the desert that crashes into a pile of rocks after losing control of the car? Speed an inexperience caused that. Inexperience being the key. Nothing against you being 17, but you have WAY less time behind a vehicle then someone whos 25. Theirs a ton of factors that come into play when driving a vehicle, and even I have been in some super scary scenarios that I had no idea i made it though without crashing! Ive gone across a bridge SIDEWAYS after the back end of my truck slid out on the ice. How I didnt go face first into that guard rail I will never know. However I also have EVOC training, which probably helped me being able to steer into the slide and save the vehicle.

#11 ·
Haha yeah you have a while till your son gets his set of wheels. I looked up that video of the kid that crashes his e46 into the rocks. I would have been so pissed and might have cried a little that I just totaled my car. It's going to take a while for me to save up enough to buy that anyway so by the time I do actually get it Ill be in college for a year or so. I guess I'm just going to ride out the 318i for a while even though it's very underpowered for a car of that weight.

#12 ·
The thing about that video, is the day after he wrote that M3 off, his parents went and bought him a brand new Mustang GT to replace it. Rich spoiled kids strike again.

M3's can be expensive. Use this time to learn how to fix everything on your 318i and by the time you save up the money you will be able to save even more by fixing things yourself.

#13 ·
Damn I wish I was rich ahaha. Well I can't complain I'm very fortunate to have had a solid car at 16. I was wondering where I can gain hands on experience in engine work and how things work and as well as to fix them. Because I'm still new at this and I don't know how to do a whole lot yet. Like I've dont the basics like install my headlights and sound system with subs. And then on top of that I retired my hood release cable and now I don't know how to feed It back through the kick panel to the engine bay because when it broke I eventually managed to get it open and then the wire got sucked Into the engine bay so I can use the old one to guide the new one into place so I was wondering if I had to take my quarter panel off for that ?

#14 ·
I hate those rich kids because they will never appreciate the vehicle for what it is. At least people who buy their own appreciate it and take care of it.

The best way is to get in their and start fixing stuff.

I see you had the dreaded hood cable freeze too! Mine broke a while ago and I have since replaced it. You dont want to pull the cable out. This makes this much much harder. You want to cut the grommet off the old cable so you can feed the new one through. Tape the new one to the old one super well. Then pull through.

This is where it feeds in behind the speaker:

See here how their taped together?

This here is where it goes into the fender. Removing the fender would allow you to acess this hole from the outside.

This is why the cable breaks. The latches get full of gunk and stick. The latch isnt able to take the force and the cable breaks, usually at the plastic handle itself.

#16 ·
Their called Torx bits. I believe its a T30 bit. Most 150+ socket sets have a couple up to T35. Make sure you replace the hood latch mechanism seen in the bottom two pictures. Their $20 each.

#18 ·
Take a look at the pictures i posted. If they look anything like that then you should. After not being able to open my hood because of the cable breaking, I advocate for replacing them any time you replace the cable.

Watch this video, and tell me if your willing to do this if the cable ever snaps and you cant open your hood:

I wish I had known about the hood latch's sticking over time before mine broke. Thank god that it wasnt at the latch itself or that would have been me.

#20 ·
Which screws?

The hood latch mechanism? They were self tapping screws originally, so if the mechanism is still original then it means they have never been replaced and their probably really stiff. You can always use something like PB Blaster to help get in their and loosen them if their was any corrosion.

#22 ·
Odd. Never had to remove mine so I don't know if that's normal. Soak with a penetrating spray like PB blaster. Spray it a couple times during the day, leave overnight (of possible) and try again. Be careful with heat.

#24 ·
Have you tried threading it through the hole already? It may be possible to do without taking the fender off. I would try if you cant get the other bolts off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.