Butchered Wire Harness - 2003 540i sport - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
New Members Check In come in say hello...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 11:31 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rexico is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Butchered Wire Harness - 2003 540i sport

I purchased the 540i sport - 2003 last year. The previous owner - cut the harness and removed the OEM HU and amp and replaced with Pioneer HU only. I could cry. I have read all the posts but no one talked about a butchered wire harness.

The best I can figure to do at this point is to go forward (instead of back to OEM - 8 yrs ago) with Dynavin HU, after market amp and bsw speakers for targeted areas only if the OEM speakers cannot handle an aftermarket amp. Maybe I dont even need an amp as the newer HUs may have enough. If I go with an amp then do I go all the way and get a sub woofer? I'm not an audiophile. However I like the idea of the latest and greatest Dynavin HU with blue tooth, audio & ipod steaming and video.
I am going to have this job done either at the BMW dealer or certified BWW repair shop. I want to get the best deal on the parts ie HU, AMP and harness and speakers (and maybe sub-woofer). Hence my post as I see there are a few sponsors. My biggest question is do I need to purchase and re-run an OEM wire harness or can the old harness be spliced into the aftermarket HU and Amp. I'd like to have my Steering wheel controls back as well as the computer read outs.

Thanks Rex - 810 625 5683
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 03:41 AM
n00b

Mickhelpaul is on a distinguished road
your post is somewhat confusing what do you want to actually replace?
#3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 03:03 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
butchered harness

Its worse than I thought.

Here's the message from the BMW mechanic.

Rex -

We are wrapping up the inspection, but I dont all of the information together yet. I will say that the radio news is not good. Someone gutted the entire factory radio system including the complete wiring harness, amp, speakers and just about anything else related to it. They also cut into the heater box to make room for the aftermarket radio and they installed a completely different wiring harness. So Im going to have to do some research to see what the options are from here.

There are a few other things that we found doing our courtesy inspection. Im going write an estimate Monday for those items.

Overall your car is in great shape! Sorry for the delay. It was a crazy Friday.

Have a great weekend,

Steve
#4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 10:30 PM
n00b

TravisW is on a distinguished road
if you were going to add aftermarket radio components then truth be told you would have had to remove most of the factory parts anyways. So basically, although the previous owner had no clue what they were doing, you're not starting off in a bad spot.

ill try to keep this as short as possible and make this into basic steps in which avenue i think would be suit your needs. Just an opinion, not saying this is your only option
1. find the HU you want and buy it.
2. search on google for a radio wiring schematic for your car so you'll know the basic wires you'll need like the hot, ground, power intenna etc.
3. pick what wattage amp you'dl ike to use. (me personally i find subwoofers to often be overbearing and annoying after a while. I've always gone with a sturdy 4 channel amplifer and matched my speakers to the power output of the amp for the best over all sound)
4. pick you're speakers wisely! surf the speaker stores online and really read what their power output is both low, "rms" and max. you want to match that rms as closely as you can with the amp without going over. I.E if the amp reads 4 channels at 100 watts rms total power thats 25 watts rms per speaker, youw ant in the area of 20-25 watts rms speakers (make sense?)
5. don't look at the wiring nightmare. Run the wires to ur amp then to your speakers individually. take your time, this will actually make servicing the system easier than the original equipment down the road say if you'd like to upgrade or something.
6. enjoy it not only a sweet custom system you came up with but enjoy knowing you were able to do something yourself that a shop would charge you a kings ransom to do.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 07:06 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks very much Travis. You have given me much peace of mind!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In