93 BMW 318is Hazard lights won't turrn off - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

New Members Check In come in say hello...

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
rockydocky is on a distinguished road
Smile 93 BMW 318is Hazard lights won't turrn off

Hello you all, I am very very new and totally inexpierenced with BMW. Vehicle has 193K, auto tranny/ Kenmore radio has replaced assumed original BMW radio. I am attempting to refurbish the above mentioned vehicle which is to be given, free of charge, to a young lad who has been diagnosed with MS(multiple sclerosis). He has to drive to school which is about 2 miles from his home. Public transportation is not an option here.

The car had been sitting unused for about a year when it was given to me as a gift for some charity work I had done on another vehicle. Obviously, a new battery was needed and it started right up and really purred. Didn't even change the gas! Tank was about half full.

As I finished the usual oil change, filters, tranny filter-gasket etc. noted on road test that the left brake light and running light were out. Turn signals and all others operated properly. New bulb replacements did not correct the problem. Removed the left light housing and no corrsion and all the other rear lights operate properly. Found one blown fuse at slot 21 and replaced with a BMW 5A32v fuse, no change.

While going to get the replacement fuse, the battery somehow drained, I could find no switch left on or other explaination. Battery is brand spanking new.. I recharged it, having removed it from the vehicle. Upon rehooking the battery, the hazard flasher lights began to activate. They will not deactivate with the hazard switch on, off or removed from the central consol.The only way they deactivate is to remove the hazard/flasher light relay. Assuming this relay was faulty, I replaced it with a brand new one. No change, still blinks. Also the left brake light does not illuminate with brake pedal depression, the right and the upper do as do all the other rear lights.

In the owner's manual I noted that there was an antitheft system for this vehicle if the hood was opened, radio tampered or engine started with out using a code. This vehicle does not have "On-Board Computer" but does have the "Multi-Information Display(MID).

The hood does not lock down completely. Did this model have an antitheft system as standard equiptment and can the system be activated by battery change or ??

The ABS light remains on at the dash. The right rear wheel was locked up but released after a few forward and back movements. At present brakes operate properly but not sure if ABS is operational.

I have been to 3 other forums/ all available manuals to include a Bentley's, Mitchel on Demand, etc. to no avail.

Can someone help other than the trip to the local BMW dealer which would cost us proabably more than the vehicle is worth.

Some of the other forums blasted me out of the saddle, for even asking. What's up America? Boy am I out of touch.

Appreciate your help and time...Thank You. Maybe I shoud had a V-8.
Rocky..the appreciative.
rockydocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In