91 bmw e36 325i se auto gearbox problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
New Members Check In come in say hello...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 05:24 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jas007 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation 91 bmw e36 325i se auto gearbox problem

can any one help me with my auto gear box. i just brought the car it had been sitting up for about 9 months when i went to take it for its mot the transmission light came on and it started to drop down gears rough then it wouldnt change gear it was just stuck in one gear. when i got near my home that gear just faded away like it was in neutral then i stopped it wouldnt move justed revved up but if you turn it of and leave it for a while and start it it will select gear for a minute then go back in neutral.i have emptyed the fluid out only 2.5 litres came out and it was thicker compared to new fluid the colour of it was as black as used engine oil.my gearbox is a black label one model no. is A5S 310Z (5HP 18) i would like help on how much fluid to put in and how to get it in there i know where to put it in but i cant get more than 1.5 litres in if any one can tell me what i am doing wrong i would be very grateful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
basrite is on a distinguished road
Jas,

The standard filling method for the gearboxes is to fill it till it runs out. If you remove the filler and it doesn't come out.. not enough fluid.

From the sounds of it you may have clutch issues.. possibly glazed over by the old fluid in there.

Another possibility is its registered a major code to the computer and in limp home mode. Get the error codes from the OBD to find out whats really going on. I doubt it would uncode itself tho... if it does.. that may cause issues.

J.

Yes... i'm a total car nut! Why else would I upgrade my mower to rev to twice its standard rpm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In