530xi versus 328xi - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

New Members Check In come in say hello...

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2007, 07:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Bob J is on a distinguished road
530xi versus 328xi

Hey Everyone! I'm new to this site and seeking some fast input. I am going to purchase a new Beemer soon, and am debating the merits, cost, performance, and comforts of the 530xi versus the 328xi. Anyone out there who has driven both? Also, living in the midwest with snow and rain, any opinions on going xi versus straight i versions of each? Please help! Thanks.
Bob J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Living in Arkansas, I have often wished I had AWD. If this will be your only vehicle, then I would suggest you go xi. The new x-drive can deliver 100% of the power to the rear wheels (I believe), so you're not giving up much.

Personally, I would go for the 530xi, since it is more spacious and has nicer amenities. I personally like the look of it better than the 3 Series. Of course, we are talking about a price difference upwards of $15,000 for not that much molre car. The 5 weighs a little more, but it also has 25 bhp on the 3, which trasnlates to slightly faster (about 0.2 sec difference) 0 to 60 mph on the 530xi.

In your position, I would test drive both cars and decide which one I like better, all things considered.

Lastly, the 5er comes with BMW's iDrive, which controls many o fthe entertainment and other functions of teh car using a single knob on the center console. Many people do not like it, so you may want to play with that a little also. Of course, if you get Navigation on the 3, you will have to use iDrive as well, so that may not even be a pint for debate.

Welcome to Werkz and I hope you come back soon.

I wish you luck with your purchase.

- Daniel
Old 01-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Bob J is on a distinguished road
Thanks

Hey Daniel-

Thanks so much for the good feedback. As the day progresses I am leaning more and more to the 5 series, thinking that I will ultimately do better having more space and comfort. I am also thinking that the ride of the 5 will be less bumpy, in terms of feeling road conditions, than the 3. The biggest cash diff is a concern- but I suppose that shelling out a bit more is better than taking a loss if I feel like the 3 was a mistake.

Again, thanks for the feedback. Very helpful.

Bob J
Bob J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BimmerWerkz > New Members Check In