BMW Werkz banner

Rebuilding an Euro E36 M3 3.2

11K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  vwk 
#1 · (Edited)
So, after being away for quite a while due to being busy etc., decided to return back to this forum!

I've been having a E36 328i for 4,5 years now, bringing it up from 192.000km to 385.000km
Unfortunately the rear trailer arm was parted from the mounting point in the chassis, so this one is RIP.

Not quite so unfortunate because I've already decided to buy an E36 M3 to rebuild.

Doing some business in buying and reselling BMW parts I've come to know quite some demolition companies over here in The Netherlands...

On my path came a damaged Euro 3.2, Estoril Blue, Climate control, Sunroof.
The car only consisted of the chassis, doors, trunklid, windows, all the wiring, complete engine and 6-speed manual.
The car has is from 07/98 and has 119.000km on it :D

I've picked up the car 2 weeks ago and already completely parted it. First I wanted to rebuild the car, but then I came across a body complete with documents and license plates! It's an original Dutch car, from the same date and month as mine is.
It costed 500 euro's, so I'm due to pick it up tomorrow.

The plan is to rebuild the car, putting over my AST Sportline 2's, my Type 188 LSD, 26,5mm stabi, X-brace and styling 101's :)
I've also purchased an original GT High Wing and the motorsport flag in original colors (as you guys know from the M3 Lightweight). The car will be sprayed in Alpine Weiss.

So this is my old car:

And below is the complete parting process. Took me 9 hours from the state in the first picture untill the state in the last picture:

Just for good order, this is not me :D

So I will keep posting updates.

And the big "why" question: E36 M3's should be driving, not sitting going to waste in a dusty corner inside a scrapyard!

Tomorrow I will pick up the second chassis in which the car will be build up in.

See less See more
#5 ·
Euro E36 M3 3.2 Engine

Hi,

My 3.2L M3 Motor just over-revved due to overheating....I need a new motor altogether.
My car already has a 6-speed Euro Manual Transmission.
Please contact me at (517) 525-1130 ASAP if you're interested in selling the Euro motor.

Thanks
Roman

#6 ·
Major update - car 98% finished

So due to being very busy with on the one hand working on my car, and on the other hand with my own business I frankly just lacked the time to post up here.
But, at this point, I've drove 4000km in my M3.

All in all a lot of minor things surfaced before everything worked well, but that's just the consequence of building a complete car starting from a bare chassis.. The "worst" thing was a failing Vanos solenoid on the intake side, but that's fixed now.

So here goes the update:

Chassis to start with:

Replacing some sound insulation mats

Sorting out the spaghetti:

Prewiring audio cables (I have a Alpine Imprint Equalizer):

Pre-placing Amp and Alpine Navigation:

Engine fitted:

It's starting to look like a car again:

AST coilovers fitted (they we're already on my old 328i):

RIP 328i:

Rear axle fitted:

First time back on the ground!:

The rims are E46 Styling 101's, produced by BBS. I have an 8,5*18 setup al around:

My god.. why did I have to choose this project

But I'm quite persistent:

Strange color difference, it isn't like this in real life:

End of part 1!

#9 ·
Thanks, also quite true. Took me every spare hour, minute, second to complete this.
Except for the mounting of the engine and rear axle (due to vacation), some extra hands on big parts like a door, the hood etc. and the painting of course I´ve done everything myself.

So it took me every evening on Mo/We/Th/Fr and every saturday from around 11 in the morning to around 5 in the afternoon for about 3 months..
And still busy with all the minor issues like footwell illumination (standard:D), lost airducts for the footwell (lost in the whole project) etc. etc.

Missing photos of part 2:

End of part 2

#8 ·
And then on a sunny day in october the car was going to the painter.
Thing I have mentioned yet, the chassis I've picked up still contained a valid VIN and license plate.
I received all the papers with the purchase of the chassis, and when I went and checked the colour because I haven't seen it before, I saw something really cool!

The car is an M3 "Edition", more specific BMW Individual Nachtblau (Night Blue). Because of the originality and rareness of this colour, it didn't take me long to decide the colour remained, so therefore the car would be completely sanded down and repainted in this awesome coulour.

Part 2 contains all the pictures from the paintjob:

#13 · (Edited)
I've been very busy, will look into updating this topic since almost everything is in there.
The car has been driving fine, except for a failing Vanos solenoid which prevented a succesfull exhaust test for the yearly check you have to do over here in The Netherlands.
Tested the car in Germany, drove 275 on the GPS in 5th gear.
Next thuesday there will be a new steeringpump and steeringlines mounted, as well as a supersprint mid-pipe with Remus exhaust.

The exhaust is together with the supersprint from a second hand purchase, just to see what it will bring. I will remove the end-piece because, for me, it looks terrible.

So, the big update will follow, just a little teaser on how the car looks right now...

The sticker is now removed on the back.. and the tyres changed from 45's to 40's..

The beautiful rare individual color "Nachtblau" or Nightblue as you wish:

And of course where this car belongs!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.