BMW Werkz banner

Is it worth getting SMG? Newbie Question.

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  M3Rider 
#1 ·
I am looking to buy an M3. I have a 2001 330 Coupe. What is the SMG and does it make a big difference in the shifting? I know it a newbie question but I never used the shifter.

#5 ·
From a practical/usability point of view, SMG is probably the best compromise between auto and manual out there (by all reports, sportier than Audi's DMG too). My previous cars were all stick, but I feel no remorse getting the SMG after having my car for 3 months. It's faster and smoother shifting than a stick, and the convenience of bending your left leg up and leaning back while cruising is nice. When you run the car hard shifting with the paddles is also a lot of fun as well as safer, imo, since you have a firmer grip on the steering wheel. If price isn't such a concern, get the SMG...why not get all the features/benefits of a toy? The way I see it, you can always get a stick car later, but an SMG on a beast like the E46? Not too often!! :driving

#6 ·
SMG on an M3 is different than the SMG on the other models like the 330ci and Z4. The SMG on the M3 has drivelogic which has 11 different transmission programs (6Sequential) (5Automated). I would go with a six-speed on the 330ci, but on an M3, I would choose SMG. Only a test drive can really determine if you like it or not, however many people say it takes some time getting used to if you drive a stick, but it's worth it in the end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.