whats out ther for ///My baby - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 07:25 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
taferg is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
whats out ther for ///My baby

okay guys, ive recently purchased an 00///M5( love the car). its certainly the fastest vehicle i've ever driven/owned ,but i want to take it to its full potential. what kinda performance upgrades are recommended, starting with the basics. i've been researching, but only upgrades ive seen are superchargers. im new to this but im pretty sure you dont just throw supercharger in without some other changes.... also i launched my car around 3000rpm's during a run(traction controll off). is that recommended? can i launch at higher rpm's? dunno if its safe. feedback please.

*iM5prung*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 08:18 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
k&n intake/ filter? i'll look for and exhaust. but yeah that should gain you some hp's

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#3 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 12:54 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Debaffle the airbox. Dinan exhaust. Software. Headers. Brakes, wheels. CAI. Velocity stacks. Throttle bodies. That sorta thing.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 07:16 AM
Mr. Bacon

dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to dannyb
bmw driving school

Quote:
Originally Posted by german-speed-demon View Post
You may now add "yes, i'm an asshole" to your sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven
that's my whore ; )
#5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 03:22 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Launching at 3k isn't a bad idea, not the best or worst thing you can do to it. Just don't cook the clutch.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 04:19 PM
my car is red

94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 94BMW325i Send a message via Yahoo to 94BMW325i
exhaust, software, intake, suspension. I am sure there are plenty of different mods for an M5, have fun with it!

member and partial creator of pimpin the auto club
#7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 06:33 PM
n00b

taferg is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
thanks for the info guys. i already have K&N air filters, i guess that differs from the intake though. but n e way, im gonna google the suggestions. thanx

*iM5prung*
#8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 01:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Trevize will become famous soon enough Trevize will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Trevize
Quote:
Originally Posted by taferg
thanks for the info guys. i already have K&N air filters, i guess that differs from the intake though. but n e way, im gonna google the suggestions. thanx

I thought K&N air filters were a bad idea on the M5?

And me being lazy... what exactly does debaffling them mean?

I haven't done any performance mods to my 2000 M5. It's damn fast as is. :-). I will upgrade the exhaust when the current gives out tho.

For mods I've done the following:

DDE Headlights
Bluetooth
Wide Screen NAV and MK IV computer upgrade
iPod integration
#9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 01:13 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
When I first wrote the post, I was thinking E60 M5 for some reason, which I know has restrictive baffles in the airbox. Take them out, add 10-ish hp. I don't know if the E39 M5 has them too, but I would guess not.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 02:08 PM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
Just beware - it is a SLIPPERY SLOPE . Once you start with the performance mods, you wind up doing A LOT of them. For example, if you supercharge it, you'll want to do the brakes (Brembo or Dinan/Brembo Big Brake kits), then the big new braks may or may not fit under your wheels which means new wheels and new tires, etc. etc. You do have a head start and may avoid some of these problems sionce you are STARTING with an ///M behicle which likely has more clearnace for big brakes under the wheels etc. , but still...you do get the idea.

Also, in case you don't know, and it is assumed by those above you do, "software" mods are when you get the ECU chip (Engine Control Unit) "mapped" or programmed with high performance software that is specially "tuned" for your car. This will greatly performance fromm the standard "stock" software that came with your car.

MANY things can be done. Prepare thy wallet...

2008 ///M5 with Eisenmann race exhaust "Athena"
2013 VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 2L Turbo
RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
RIP 2002 Z3 Roadster 2.5i - VF Supercharged, 5-speed, Brembos etc.
Turkey ///M Car Fleet Commander
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 01:01 PM
n00b

orwen55 is on a distinguished road
Performance

Your car sounds very nice there are many options for you I have a great site that I have used that has specializes in BMWS it is BMW Performance Parts - 3 5 7 Series M3 M5 BMW Performance Parts
U willl find some nice performance parts
let me know how it goes
#12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Trevize will become famous soon enough Trevize will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Trevize
Quote:
Originally Posted by orwen55
Your car sounds very nice there are many options for you I have a great site that I have used that has specializes in BMWS it is BMW Performance Parts - 3 5 7 Series M3 M5 BMW Performance Parts
U willl find some nice performance parts
let me know how it goes

Just went to that site...... I don't care for how it's organized... I can put in 2000 5-Series and it's immediately obvious that the results will not work on a M5.

I do look at:

BeastPower Motorsports, Inc. (5-series)

and

M5Board.com

But I've yet to purchase anything from them. I will eventually get Tubi exhaust. Ya I want it a bit loud and mean :-)

Last edited by Trevize; 11-29-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)