What would you pay for this? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 04:08 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
norcalbmw4 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
What would you pay for this?

He's asking $4,000. But will take $3,200 cash.

What would you offer him? Help me out. haha.

98 Bmw M3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 07:03 AM
n00b

JodyJacobs is on a distinguished road
As far as the exterior is concerned, it looks pretty great. But the interiors look disappointing. But nevertheless if you can narrow down the deal for $3000..it think it still is worth purchasing.

#3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 09:33 AM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
The exterior does look to be in really good shape. Those manual seats suck anyway. Get yourself a set of Dove Gray Vaders and you'll be laughing. Automatic M3's arent very common and are slower then a manual, but still fun to drive.

Get the reciepts for any work done to the car. The fact that he claims the the timing chain has been replaced is quite odd to me. The timing chain itself is supposed to be a lifetime part that should never need replacement. I have never seen pictures of one that has failed. Usually its the tensioner that weakens over time causing the chain to appear slack.

I would go in at $3,000.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 09:46 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Here are comments from others that are really scaring me into NOT buying it:

"Replaced the springs" WTF?

Nope. Nope. Nope. Car is a money pit. Those seats are as bad as I've seen. Not even a good track car candidate. You'd have to swap out the transmission and suspension is probably shot.

Keep looking.

AND...

Changed timing chain? That doesn't sound good either. Something happened to that motor. You easily need to spend another 5-7K to get that car in shape.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 11:35 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I went and saw this car today. and drove it. it was an incredibly smooth ride. there was a large language barrier. the son had to interpret. the ad says that he replaced the 4 springs, but he replaced the 4 struts. It was a 9/10 on the exterior and 10/10 drive. the interior was great BUT the roof lining was coming apart. both front seats need to be replaced. The check engine light is on. I asked why and he said the "O2 Sensor". The windshield was cracked and the 2 rear tires need to be replaced.

What does it cost to replace the O2 Sensor?

I offered him $2,500 and he said $3,200 was the lowest he would go. I walked away and told him to let me know if he changes his mind. I really liked it and I could pay $3,200. I'm just not sure. At $2,500 I can probably replace the O2 Sensor, Tires and windshield and come in under $3,200.

Any other thoughts? Thank you for helping me on this.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 12:06 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
You're right to be cautious; O2 sensors are expensive, and can help conceal other issues.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 09:38 AM
4DoorWhore

Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Based on your information here is my opinion:

Struts are a normal wear item at around 150,000 miles so thats normal. Mine went around the same milage as well.

Headliner - Some people have said that the factory it was made in depends on how well the headliner stays intact because apparently different places use different glue. To me the headliner isnt as a big a deal as the CEL. I had a headliner for sale for $100 so their not expensive if you need to replace it.

CEL - Thats a problem thats easy to deal with. 98 is OBD-II so head over to your local auto parts store and ask to rent an OBD Code Scanner. Plug the thing in the OBD port located under the dash and you can start pulling codes. If the ONLY code that comes up is an O2 sensor code I might be game for $2,800-3,000. Saying "oh its just an O2 sensor" can be a sign to bigger problems as Whiteshark mentioned. The code may also be a cat failing code (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold or Bank 1/2 Efficiency Below Threshold) which can run close to $1,000. I dont know if you can delete your cats in California or not. Theirs a guy on Bimmerforums that sells O2 sensor simulators so you can run catless. A friend of mine has them and they work great. An O2 sensor itself is about $115-125 IIRC.

If he replaced the four struts make sure he has reciepts for them. I would honestly still get it inspected. If you have emissions testing you might fail until you get that CEL cleared.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 09:56 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
Based on your information here is my opinion:

Struts are a normal wear item at around 150,000 miles so thats normal. Mine went around the same milage as well.

Headliner - Some people have said that the factory it was made in depends on how well the headliner stays intact because apparently different places use different glue. To me the headliner isnt as a big a deal as the CEL. I had a headliner for sale for $100 so their not expensive if you need to replace it.

CEL - Thats a problem thats easy to deal with. 98 is OBD-II so head over to your local auto parts store and ask to rent an OBD Code Scanner. Plug the thing in the OBD port located under the dash and you can start pulling codes. If the ONLY code that comes up is an O2 sensor code I might be game for $2,800-3,000. Saying "oh its just an O2 sensor" can be a sign to bigger problems as Whiteshark mentioned. The code may also be a cat failing code (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold or Bank 1/2 Efficiency Below Threshold) which can run close to $1,000. I dont know if you can delete your cats in California or not. Theirs a guy on Bimmerforums that sells O2 sensor simulators so you can run catless. A friend of mine has them and they work great. An O2 sensor itself is about $115-125 IIRC.

If he replaced the four struts make sure he has reciepts for them. I would honestly still get it inspected. If you have emissions testing you might fail until you get that CEL cleared.
Really appreciate your feedback/help on this. Thank you.
#9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 04:13 AM
n00b

LRod is on a distinguished road
The interior of this vehicle is not so prettier as exterior is. I am wondering for what this guy is demanding $4000. Sincerely if you get this in $2800 then it would be good deal. However $3000 is a little bit costly but reasonable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)