What Should I Upgrade? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 01:01 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
keikun is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I retired my 1988 m3 for awhile, so I purchased this car about 3 months ago to accomidate my new family. Its hard transfering baby into the back seat. The car performs great but, its a big difference since its not manuel transmission. I'm asking you folks on what should I do to make this car more fun. The car is full stock for now. Any suggestions?
keikun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 02:35 PM
7th Gear (SMG)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
I wouldn't mod the car if you're going to keep a baby in the back seat...
Well... EVERYONE PAY ATTENTION... I AM ADMITTING THAT MY M3 IS ALSO AN AUTOMATIC!... It hurts... I am unloved.
But here's what I plan to do to my 1998 m3 sedan auto..
We're looking at a timeline here.
REALISTICALLY:
New tires (keeping them staggered) Pirelli P-Zero MS fronts and rear
Cross-drilled rotors, performance pads
Tranny swap (if possible) to SMG (if possible) or manual (if not SMG)
m50 intake manifold
CAI
Full-on exhaust
Shark Inject (OBDII).
WISH LIST:
Reinforce stability of the car
Drivetrain
AA s/c

... I know... my car been killed... someone made it an automatic... but... it's still an m3, right? ... I know.. I cry myself to sleep at night.


Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
4evrwyntr is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member
 
LongHairedHippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LongHairedHippy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to LongHairedHippy
change the tranny. 'nuff said.

<span style='color:red'>Member: Bimmer/Beemer owner club</span>
<span style='color:red'>Founder/Sole Member: I-beat-a-Ferrari-because-it-stalled club</span>
Will dance for 1974 3.0CSL
<img src='http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/longhairedhippy/sig1.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torque @ May 9 2005, 09:07 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Welcome to the biggest sausagefest on Earth... you can run from us now, but sooner or later -- we will hump you.
[snapback]342696[/snapback]
</div>
LongHairedHippy is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 05:36 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
keikun is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by 4evrwyntr@May 11 2005, 12:35 PM
I wouldn't mod the car if you're going to keep a baby in the back seat...
Well... EVERYONE PAY ATTENTION... I AM ADMITTING THAT MY M3 IS ALSO AN AUTOMATIC!... It hurts... I am unloved.
But here's what I plan to do to my 1998 m3 sedan auto..
We're looking at a timeline here.
REALISTICALLY:
New tires (keeping them staggered) Pirelli P-Zero MS fronts and rear
Cross-drilled rotors, performance pads
Tranny swap (if possible) to SMG (if possible) or manual (if not SMG)
m50 intake manifold
CAI
Full-on exhaust
Shark Inject (OBDII).
WISH LIST:
Reinforce stability of the car
Drivetrain
AA s/c

... I know... my car been killed... someone made it an automatic... but... it's still an m3, right? ... I know.. I cry myself to sleep at night.
[snapback]343389[/snapback]
An M3 is an M3, I got to admit manuel transmission is far better then automatic, I usually forget and use my left foot and look for the clutch. In traffic stick sucks but when your taking a curve or mountain driving stick is the way to go.

So far I plan to add an X Brace and a front strut bar, then upgrade my lighting to Hella Angel eyes. My friend recommended a CAI from Dinan and performance chip. I'm about to switch out my stock wheels to my spare AC Schnitzer Wheel - Type III, I inherited them from my sister's RIP 97 318ti.
keikun is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 08:23 AM
7th Gear (SMG)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
Quote:
Originally posted by keikun@May 11 2005, 05:36 PM
An M3 is an M3, I got to admit manuel transmission is far better then automatic, I usually forget and use my left foot and look for the clutch. In traffic stick sucks but when your taking a curve or mountain driving stick is the way to go.
So far I plan to add an X Brace and a front strut bar, then upgrade my lighting to Hella Angel eyes. My friend recommended a CAI from Dinan and performance chip. I'm about to switch out my stock wheels to my spare AC Schnitzer Wheel - Type III, I inherited them from my sister's RIP 97 318ti.
[snapback]343459[/snapback]
I understand what you mean by "searching for a clutch..." One can't describe the need to downshift sometimes, and that kickdown thing, while fun, just isn't enough. Also, upshifting for fuel economy bothers me too... As well as executing launches. Sigh. Being an avid city driver, though, I have to disagree with the traffic bit; it keeps me awake in traffic when I think about my tranny...
Heya, when you get that x-brace, tell me how that works; I've been thinking about that as well. If you're going for looks, do you have a trunk lip or spoiler? I have a spoiler and some massive tints... I'd have to recommend the Dinan CAI as well. Nice wheels by the way; sorry to hear about your sister's baby hatchback.


Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
4evrwyntr is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 10:09 AM
n00b
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
keikun is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by 4evrwyntr+May 12 2005, 06:23 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4evrwyntr @ May 12 2005, 06:23 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-keikun@May 11 2005, 05:36 PM
An M3 is an M3, I got to admit manuel transmission is far better then automatic, I usually forget and use my left foot and look for the clutch. In traffic stick sucks but when your taking a curve or mountain driving stick is the way to go.
So far I plan to add an X Brace and a front strut bar, then upgrade my lighting to Hella Angel eyes. My friend recommended a CAI from Dinan and performance chip. I'm about to switch out my stock wheels to my spare AC Schnitzer Wheel - Type III, I inherited them from my sister's RIP 97 318ti.
[snapback]343459[/snapback]
I understand what you mean by "searching for a clutch..." One can't describe the need to downshift sometimes, and that kickdown thing, while fun, just isn't enough. Also, upshifting for fuel economy bothers me too... As well as executing launches. Sigh. Being an avid city driver, though, I have to disagree with the traffic bit; it keeps me awake in traffic when I think about my tranny...
Heya, when you get that x-brace, tell me how that works; I've been thinking about that as well. If you're going for looks, do you have a trunk lip or spoiler? I have a spoiler and some massive tints... I'd have to recommend the Dinan CAI as well. Nice wheels by the way; sorry to hear about your sister's baby hatchback.
[snapback]343639[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Your right about the traffic part it does keep you awake but it can be tiresome. I plan to get the x brace in about 2 weeks from now so when I install I will keep you posted on it. Need to do redo the tint I'm not satisfied with the quality of the present tint job. No spoiler I'm still debating on a spoiler any suggestions?
keikun is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 12:15 PM
7th Gear (SMG)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
Hmmm if a spoiler, nothing too dramatic; again, it's mostly for looks (they don't help until after 80+ mph I think), something sleek and unassuming. Mine's the one with the additional brakelight.
On google, I found a similar one that looks like the attached image.
Apparently, it's a "Rieger BMW E36 INFINITY II REAR WING WITH BRAKE LIGHT"
Huh.
I'm finding new things about my car all the time (I bought it used, some mods were already done to it; looks only - like the front lip spoiler, tints, and thus mentioned rear spoiler. Everything else stock).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmwrieger3rw.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	20447  


Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
4evrwyntr is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 01:12 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
keikun is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by 4evrwyntr@May 12 2005, 10:15 AM
Hmmm if a spoiler, nothing too dramatic; again, it's mostly for looks (they don't help until after 80+ mph I think), something sleek and unassuming. Mine's the one with the additional brakelight.
On google, I found a similar one that looks like the attached image.
Apparently, it's a "Rieger BMW E36 INFINITY II REAR WING WITH BRAKE LIGHT"
Huh.
I'm finding new things about my car all the time (I bought it used, some mods were already done to it; looks only - like the front lip spoiler, tints, and thus mentioned rear spoiler. Everything else stock).
[snapback]343711[/snapback]
Kewl thanks my truck looks naked without it, its funny that it didn't come stock with one not like my e30 m3.
keikun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suspension upgrade Q's - 325i '93 E36r 3-Series (E36) 5 10-05-2005 04:39 PM
2004 E60 Software Upgrade ksz 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) 13 06-20-2005 12:25 PM
Stereo Upgrade ian1974 Audio and Electronics 1 01-28-2005 04:31 PM
Dinan Stage 2 Ecu Upgrade NeverLeaned 3-Series (E36) 5 10-10-2004 09:20 PM
XENON UPGRADE KIT ON EBAY? bmwfun 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) 0 06-24-2004 05:10 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome