Want To Be An Owner Of An M3 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 01:06 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
m3PoweR is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
hey guys,
i just recently joined this forum to learn more about the e36 m3's because i want to purchase one. any suggestions on what year? i want to get something around '98-99 coupes, but haven't found a good deal yet. also what should i be looking for when i'm buying an m3. thanks. ANY info will be greatly appreciated.

right now i consider myself a noob about bmw's but i'm sure after a couple months on this forum with people who know their bimmers will help me increase my knowledge.

btw...i previously drove a '95 integra gsr. can't wait to become a bimmer owner though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 09:40 AM
n00b

Rhyzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Check the service history for water pumps, make sure it has had at least 5 or 6 installed over a 10 year period (if it's a 95 reg)

Stay on top of them, if they blow whilst driving, they piss water everywhere very quickly and that aint good if you're on the freeway or somethin.

Also, biggest issue with E36 M3's is the vanus system. When you drive the car, make sure it doesn't "chug" or struggle to accelerate, as if something is slipping.

Test this by holding at about 3000 rpm in second, and slowly accelerate. You'll feel it chug. If this happens, get it checked over by a 3rd party mechanic before buying it. It could be the clutch or as little as the fuel pump fuse, but if it's the vanus, DONT BUY IT

Other things such as rust hotspots, above the windscreen and rear wheel arches tend to bubble a bit, This needs attention, but no more than $2-300 to spray over and treat.

Other than that they're very resilient cars. Remember if it's old you may not be THAT impressed with the performance. They are a sports car after all and probably been thrashed about.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 03:25 PM
1st Gear Member

DJProfessor is an unknown quantity at this point
for the record, it's spelled VANOS, and they are pretty straight forward to replace.....purchase is another matter as i cannot remember exactly how much they go for......

sexually assault a member of the VW community? if you belong to dubdojo or swov.org they will gladly circle their wagons and support you.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 12:35 PM
n00b

Rhyzz is an unknown quantity at this point
about $5700 as they're made by rolls royce and no insurance company covers it
#5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 10:47 AM
1st Gear Member

FREDPLT is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to FREDPLT
My M3 tends to not chug but even with a new clutch and a high end flywheel tends to like miss for a second but I was told what is happening is that the flywheel is spinning so much faster than a stock clutch that when the flywheel actually connects with the clutch it miss a beat because of the increased power. Not you have me worried. I would be surprised though, cause this is one of the first times I have heard that and no one I know has had a problem with their engines in that respect. I have a 98, maybe it was a problem on the 95 3.0 engine. The 3.2 liter was changed around for the better!

1998 Cosmos M3
1986 Silver 735i
2000 Gold Tahoe Z71
#6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 08:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Chant is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by FREDPLT@May 6 2005, 10:47 AM
My M3 tends to not chug but even with a new clutch and a high end flywheel tends to like miss for a second but I was told what is happening is that the flywheel is spinning so much faster than a stock clutch that when the flywheel actually connects with the clutch it miss a beat because of the increased power. Not you have me worried. I would be surprised though, cause this is one of the first times I have heard that and no one I know has had a problem with their engines in that respect. I have a 98, maybe it was a problem on the 95 3.0 engine. The 3.2 liter was changed around for the better!

[snapback]341468[/snapback]
have tried turning off your ASC? i noticed a lag when i would speed shift with the ASC on. if you turn it off then you should be fine.

Chant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)