BMW Werkz banner

Vanos packed up.

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Mr White G 
#1 ·
Out of the blue my 2000 M Coupe' lost its bite. this is the European one with 321 Hp. Usually most impressive when floored at 160 km / h in fifth it just seemed ordinary suddenly and when i got home the idle rpm was at 2000 and tapping the pedal to get it to drop down revealed a rattle trailing the dying revs ater each blip.

Took it to the agents and they replaced the vanos saying it was noisy and the cam timing was very advanced. ?

Its quieter now but im not sure if its as fast as before. It could be my imagination but it just does not blow me away like before when i floor it.

Is the vanos something that works or does not work or can it half work ? Im very suspicious of Mechanics in south Africa believing that they dont really know what they are doing. Could my ( new) vanos be set up incorrectly or even not be adjusting the timing properly to optimum as it should ?

They mentioned that the vanos needs to be actuated with compressed air during set up to see if it actually advances the cam timing but how can i prove that the vanos is doing its magic and lay my mind to rest ?

Thanks

Skindiver.

See less See more
#2 ·
It is most certainly possible that the new vanos was not installed exactly the way it was originally. It can all be tested via the dis machine. It's also quite possible that your old vanos unit was giving too much and what you have now is where it should be. It's hard to say. If the vanos was installed properly it should be working properly. Normally you would notice if it was wrong.. it would run pretty bad. Take it back and have them reinstall everything and reset, then test it.

#3 ·
Sounds like a very dodge install....

I can understand the high idle or the low power but I don't understand both! Take it back double time and stand on their necks until it's sorted.

How many miles on the clock? Belts need to be inspected regularly and replaced periodically; overhead cam timing belts every 60,000 miles. I suspect that the cam belt may be trouble.

#4 ·
Hi

The car has 30 000 miles ( or 50 000 km ). It had an inspection II, 800 km before the problem occurred.

I assume all work is being done as cost is "no factor" The cost of all work is picked up by Motorplan ( until the end of this year or 60 000 km) whichever comes sooner. The dealership seems only too happy to do work and charge it to motorplan, no quibble. They decided to replace my visco fan because the temparature needle moved over half during their road test and the accelerator cable as well as it was a tad sticky.

The car runs well but it just does not seem to have the over 4000 RPM powerband punch it had before where it really leapt forward with gusto. The power is more linear all the way up to the redline.

When my vanos packed up it was more the clatter, like very bad tappet clatter, that had me take it in, rather than dog like performance. I presumed that the moderate loss of power was my imagination or i was getting too used to the car.
If the "new" vanos is not working at all, would the car "unmistakeably" go like a dog ?
Also unless its my imagination the engine has more of a raspy Grrrrr like quality now under accelaration, this quality can be felt through the gear lever too, compared to the turbine whine like smoothness it had before the vanos issue.

#5 ·
The engine has a definate change of character when it comes 'on cam' at around 4k. The fact that the delivery is now linear suggests that it isn't working as it should.

It's not a misfiring cylinder or a problem with the valve alignment is it?

That sounds sooo wierd. I can't think what else might cause this... especially so close after inspecII. Is the vanos set tight and in place? Maybe it's set too tight and doesn't have the movement to adjust the cams as it should. :dunno

I'm sorry... I'm just guessing now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.