Tires: Performance upgrade - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 03:25 AM
Keep it Copacetic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
(Thread Starter)
Tires: Performance upgrade

Well I havent actually picked up my M3 yet but I already have a few things planned. One of the first things im going to do is change the tires. The current tires have tons of tread left, but th elast time thye were changed was 1998!!!! Fucking 7 years ago, shows how much it was driven.

Well two things hurt tires, miles, and time. And I dont plan on driving on 7 year old tires for long.

Hell, I dont even know what size tires. I have stock 10 spoke BMW Motorsport wheels with whatever tires.

What, honestly, do you recomend for performance. Im not looking for cheapo tires. But im not looking for pirelli $$$$$$$. I want a decent tire, lets keep it about 200 or less please. Personal experience will also be very appreciated.

Also, what size tire is usually standard on my car (235/40 R17 if I remember correctly), and how much larger do you guys think i can go with my stock wheels?

And finally what pisses me off the most is the rating scale. Whats this bullshit WYZ rating where Z means 150+ but W and Y are above 150. W is like 170 and Y is like 190.

WTF get rid of Z.

Thanks,

Eric

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black

Last edited by ///M Power; 10-11-2005 at 03:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 11:46 AM
7th Gear (SMG)

4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
Z is kind of like the kill all end all... Indefinite. Well, at least from what I've seen.
W and Y are probably only tested to their respected listed limits - still ridiculously high though.

The kind of tires depends on what you want them for... are you running the stock standard tires? REALLY high performance summer, or REALLY high performance all season?
You can get the pzero nero m&S's for under $200, and they're (IMO) probably the best bang for the buck when it comes to a mixture of performance and all-season drivability.
If you're looking at summer performance tires, it's not going to be pirelli... I had a list somewhere, I'll look at it when I go home. But you better be prepared - those things suck at about 40 degrees F and below when it comes to grip. They literally freeze up. Alos, the stock Dunlops suck monkey butt. And you might as well drive furious in them because they'll go bald in like 7000 miles.
You're getting an ///m? I didn't know this! Congrats! e46 or e36? If you say e46, I'm only going to hate you a little bit.

EDIT: I reread your post and I'm a moron.
You're obviously getting an e36.

In that case, all the information I supplied is pertinent.
Unless you had your wheels changed from stock, you should be running 225/45's in front, and 245/40's in back. Yup. No tire rotation, so you're looking at changing more often. Oh well. Comes with the turf.

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper

Last edited by 4evrwyntr; 10-11-2005 at 11:50 AM.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dutchbmw
Congratulations with your M3 Eric! You really deserve it

Here is a very useful link for some more information: http://www.bmwmregistry.com/faq.php

Get from my website the original brochure from the 97 or 98 model (yeah it's the euro version)

Good luck and show us some pictures!!

Pieter

BMW '96 M3 (SOLD)
June 2005 Car Of The Month!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque
I was just dropped off here by aliens one day. They got bored with me.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
225 and 245 eh?

I think that setup is only pertinent to 96+ models no?

damnit gotta be ill finish post later

#5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 04:25 PM
7th Gear (SMG)

Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
Is it? I thought all e36's were like that... maybe... maybe you've got 235's all around? That's a typical snow setup... Hmm...

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 06:07 PM
Keep it Copacetic

(Thread Starter)
Yeah i think 95's had 235 all around

then 96-99 had 225 245 because of certain suspension addins and camber and whatnot added in 96.

You think I can go with a fatter tire? I want to maintain my ability to rotate so you think 245 at all corners will work?

I have similar rims to you. I have the BMW Motorsport ones while you have the ///M ones.

#7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 07:06 PM
7th Gear (SMG)

Ug. These rims SUCK for cleaning.
Anyway, normally I'd say it would be safe to go + or - 10 in the tire width... but you're looking at low profile tires... In my experience that leeway was only safe on something like 185 width or MAYBE 190 width. I'm not sure what the lee-way is on such a stiff and small sidewall as well. The prognosis doesn't look good.
PS - another tire that's gotten some rave reviews is actually the BF-Goodrich KDW's... The expensive ones with the interesting tread pattern. Of course, those are a bit pricey as summer tires, but I don't recall really what the pricing was.
Suffice it to say, pretty much whomever you go with (kumho, yokohama, pirelli, BF-goodrich or Michelin, in ascending order of preference), you will probably see an upgrade. I was looking at Kumho MX's to replace my rears eventually, but those tires are geting mixed reviews - but they're CHEAP.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 01:25 AM
5th Gear Member

BMWL2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BMWL2
I had a set of Toyo T1-S's last summer on my M and I thought they were excellent tires. They did not wear all that long but they had multiple autocrosses on them. I think Toyo actually put out a new series of these tires, So I am giving my praise for Toyo.

Motovated Motorsport Forums
http://www.motovatedcc.com
#9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 01:56 AM
Keep it Copacetic

(Thread Starter)
How much did they set you back?

#10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 02:29 AM
5th Gear Member

BMWL2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BMWL2
$650ish Not too bad of a price for what they are.

Motovated Motorsport Forums
http://www.motovatedcc.com
#11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 03:16 AM
Keep it Copacetic

(Thread Starter)
$650? Sounds great! Ill need to read up on them some more.

#12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 11:37 AM
7th Gear (SMG)

Among those lines, the Pirelli PZero's M&S's are at $650... but they are a different breed than the toyo's. Necessity vs. excess. I'm going to look at some Toyo's.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 10:55 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
When I drove an E39 528i and bought 18" M5 wheels, I wrapped them in Sumitomo HTR+ rubber. I got those for just over $200 each, but I'd suggest they're worth the extra money because their wear and traction ratings are absolutely excellent. I found them to have great traction whether in dry and warm, cold and wet, or cold and ice. When I totalled my car, I had put over 20,000 miles on them, and the rears had about 40% of their tread left, never rotated. I tend to drive my car pretty hard, so that was impressive to me.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 08:32 PM
68th gear and shifting

superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to superdeadman
got pzero nero m&S on the 5-er and i love em!
they are quite and got excellent traction $135/tire

member and partial creator of the Pimpin' The Auto club
Quote:
m20 pwr: "oh yeah baby, pour some acid on my penis"

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
and most of all have fun driving"
#15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 08:34 PM
Keep it Copacetic

(Thread Starter)
I seemed to have been under the impression that pirelli's were far out of my price range....maybe it's just the name that scares me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)