Timing Chain Cover Removal (e36 M3) - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2004, 05:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Jams6502 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi

Have had a nasty rattle from front of my 1994 European E36 M3 (S50 B30 engine) - My mechanic has looked at it an reckons that one of the timing chain guides has broken or worked itself loose (lower right side when looked at from front)

To get at the lower part of the timing chain and guides I need to remove the lower timing chain cover. I have looked at the BMW TIS CD and this says that it is necessary to remove the cylinder head first !! - major pain !!

My question - Does anyone know if the Lower Timing chain cover can be removed without first removing the head ? It seems a crazy amount of work to have to do ! Alternately is there some other way of removing the timing chain guide ?

Any hints, comments etc. greatly appreciated !
Jams6502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2004, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Been here a while.

Car: Blah
Photos:
97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Quote:
Originally posted by Jams6502@Oct 5 2004, 05:02 AM
Hi

Have had a nasty rattle from front of my 1994 European E36 M3 (S50 B30 engine) - My mechanic has looked at it an reckons that one of the timing chain guides has broken or worked itself loose (lower right side when looked at from front)

To get at the lower part of the timing chain and guides I need to remove the lower timing chain cover. I have looked at the BMW TIS CD and this says that it is necessary to remove the cylinder head first !! - major pain !!

My question - Does anyone know if the Lower Timing chain cover can be removed without first removing the head ? It seems a crazy amount of work to have to do ! Alternately is there some other way of removing the timing chain guide ?

Any hints, comments etc. greatly appreciated !
[snapback]205112[/snapback]

If you go to pelicanparts.com and search their tech articles.. you might just find something.. good luck.. As for getting that cover off... I do believe that you have to take the head of to get to it... its rather a hard possition to get too... only done it once... a while ago... sorry I cant help much more... pelican parts has some very good articles.. that might help..

Good Luck

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
97alpineM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Thanks 97alpineM3

We've made some progress - It was possible to get that lower timing belt cover off with head still untouched. Next step still tricky but we have a plan !

Our problem is that the plastic timing chain guide (on the opposite side from the tensioner) which should be held on by two studs has come loose. Amazingly the plastic guide is intact but the two metal studs have sheared off. Removing the plastic guide doesnt appear possible without removing the head as it protrudes up about an inch into the head and although we could break it to remove it there's no way to get a new guide in place in one piece.

Our plan is to remove the remains of the metal studs (done), bring them to a machine shop, drill a hole in the top of each get cut a thread in this hole so that we can screw in fresh bolts to hold the guide in place.

All sounds a little unclear in text, but, basically there's hope that all can be done with head in place !

Thanks again
Old 10-06-2004, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Meant to say - I've been to pelican parts and Yes their articles are great !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)