Suspension requirements help - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2006, 07:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
vietle is on a distinguished road
Suspension requirements help

I am going to upgrade my M3 with some coilovers and need some help as to what I need to have the right set-up. So far I only have the coilovers but have read that I will need shock mounts, will I also need the camber and caster plates too or just one or the other? Do I also need any bushings, rear trailing arms, or anything else?

My goal is to have a nice handling car that does not squeak with the firmer ride. I am riding on 19" Works too. Sway bars worth it too?
vietle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2006, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
I am Teh Edumacator.

Car: 1999 Dinan 540i/6, 1995 Dinan 749
Photos:
Teh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
I put in Camber plates when I put in my Konis, and handling was much more neutral.

Sway bars are definitely worth it. Although idk how that works with M3s and coilovers given that our sway bars attach to our struts.

What year M3 do you have?

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Teh Prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I have an '03 M3.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Roninpb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vietle
I have an '03 M3.
I had an O3 also. Now a HEAVILY modded (emphasis on HPDEs) O5.

You won't like hearing this but the OEM suspension on 03s is GREAT for street driving.

You'd be better off participating in a few HPDEs. THEN and ONLY then (i assume you're not an expert or you'd have mentioned it) will you know what you need in re suspension for your goal(s).

There are many other benefits to spending a few hundred bux on assorted track days .... trust me .... you'll thank me vociferously for it.

Peace, Love & Truth,

Richard Allen.
Roninpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Roninpb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
[snip]My goal is to have a nice handling car
Just occurred to me: You should already have a "nice handling car." If you meant otherwise .... we need to explore the probs.

Quote:
that does not squeak
Your OEM suspension shouldn't "squeak." A properly set up street and/or non-extreme HPDE suspension shouldn't "squeak" either.

Quote:
with the firmer ride.
You may WANT a "firmer ride" but you, IMHO, don't NEED it.

Quote:
I am riding on 19"
I also. I decided to give up some handling for looks. [chuckle] YMMV!

Quote:
Works too.
I don't understand the above remark. Clarification please? TIA.

Quote:
Sway bars worth it too?
It's YOUR money. YOUR car. YOUR DECISION!.

Do NOT let what we write become the final arbiter. We cannot possibly know what you really want (or need either) from a few chats on line. Most important of all .... "To err is human..." We are much more likely to give you poor avice than good. ;-)

HTH.

Peace, Love & Truth,

Richard Allen.
Roninpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Well thanks for all the feedback.

What I meant were Work Vs-XX wheels. Since driving my car for over the last week in Washington D.C., Philadelphia, and right now in NYC I kind of think the firmess on the stock suspension is plenty stiff. The Ground Controls I have are on back order and will not be ready until May. Maybe I should rethink my needs.

The one thing that I really don't want is putting on aftermarket 19's and having too much wheel gap. So I figured I would get dual adjustables coilovers to lower the ride a little and have the ability to soften the ride when I know my fiance will be in in for long durations.

The car right now is great but I could use a little less leaning on the turns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)