Surge Performance Chip for M3? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
cacampers is on a distinguished road
Surge Performance Chip for M3?

I have a 1998 M3 Dinan and I saw an ad for a Surge Performance Chip that claims to add an additional 35 horsepower. Has anyone ever used this chip? Is it worth it to buy this? Is there another performance chip that is a proven winner that will add this much horsepower that I can get for my car? Any comments and recommendations would be very much appreciated.
cacampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2008, 11:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
I am Teh Edumacator.

Car: 1999 Dinan 540i/6, 1995 Dinan 749
Photos:
Teh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Don't bother.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Teh Prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Don't bother with performance chips or don't bother with the Surge? Is there anything else I can do to raise horsepower over the 300 range without supercharging the engine?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
General Chaos

Car: ///M3,Corolla
Photos:
SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
yes u can...ull get 300 crank HP, not 300 wheel...

u can go obd1, but u wont pass smog.
u can add a intake, exhaust, cams and a good performance software from Dinan, Turner Motorsports, or Active Autowerkes...btw, u dont have a chip in ur car, u have to shark inject ur ecu...
Old 04-14-2008, 10:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I have the Dinan S1 Package which includes Dinan Stage 2 Engine Software, High Flow Cold Air Intake, Free Flow Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Strut & Tower Braces and Stage 2 Suspension System with Dinan Performance Springs with Koni Shocks and Struts along with 22mm front and rear anti-roll bars.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I forgot to mention that I have about 278 hp with the setup that I have right now, so adding about 10% more would get me to the 300hp that I am trying to get to.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
General Chaos

Car: ///M3,Corolla
Photos:
SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
cams or u can get a m50 manifold, or just go OBD1 alltogether

also, as soon as u do it, ull need to reshark ur software
Old 09-17-2009, 05:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
bimmer4life2009 is on a distinguished road
Don't waste your money on these. I was thinking about getting a performance chip too, but it looks like these things don't do crap. I was reading this article about it, and it looks like these things don't work at all
bimmer4life2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1995 M3
Photos:
Smoothm3 is on a distinguished road
Research.

I would have to say do a LOT of research, I am not against chips depending on what it is and what they do but it depends largely or what the applications is, what the mods are and what you want to do, there is a certain amount of de-tuning that manufactures do that is not hard to unleash and get good safe gains from.

In my opinion Dinan is a trustworthy company, they deliver what they say and won't cause you to run at any dangerous extremes like others may. They make E PROM chips in different variations, but again it depends on what you have done and are wanting to do.

I wouldn't get a chip off the internet from a company you don't know about, from what I understand it's not too hard to make or rip these chips even if you don't have all the brains and data to back it up.

If you are really looking for something serious find a local company that can make a custom set up to your car whether it be ECM tuning/programing or making a removable chip, and try to find a dyno to dial in your car.
Smoothm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jack24panther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4life2009 View Post
Don't waste your money on these. I was thinking about getting a performance chip too, but it looks like these things don't do crap. I was reading this article about it, and it looks like these things don't work at all
What you read in that article is true and it's about those shitty ebay scam chips, but there are alot of good chips outhere too
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)