speed button - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2005, 11:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
98estorilm3 is on a distinguished road
speed button

on the display on my 98 m3 theres a button near the bottom that says speed and when u click it it digitally reads ur speed. But mines stuck at 28 mph. help!!! Also whats the little switch that has S at the top E in the middle and M at the bottom. sry its a brand new car i just got it today

any help would be appreciated tahnks
98estorilm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2005, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
7th Gear (SMG)

Car:
Photos:
4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
Are you sure that's not the speed limiter that you just activated? If that's not it, that's probably the average speed you're looking at (I can't remember what the limiter button says; could be limit. I miss my car ).
If that's the case, and you're doing lots of city driving, 26-34 sounds about right.
Again, that's average speed; I don't know if it takes into account when you are at a full stop.

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
4evrwyntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
no its not the limit button thats a separate one... question still stands about teh S , E , M button
Old 12-28-2005, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
7th Gear (SMG)

Car:
Photos:
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
Automatic?
S = sport mode, lower shift points, quicker throttle, less mpg.
E = Economic (I guess?)/Automatic. Standard.
M = manual mode; you could shift using the shifter; of course you don't have a 1st gear as I think that m3 is a 5-speed, so it should be 2, 3, 4 and 5(D).

Yah. And stuff. So that would be average speed on that button there.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
Old 12-28-2005, 06:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
sry yea its an automatic...my parents didnt want me to have a manuel for my first car cause it would "encourage speeding" Anyway.. so when its in M mode its really like a riptronic transmission. Also its a 4 speed auto not a 5 speed auto
Old 12-28-2005, 06:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
triptronic
Old 12-28-2005, 08:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
7th Gear (SMG)

Car:
Photos:
woah... 4-speed auto? They had ///m3's with a 4-speed auto?!? ...

... I thought they were all 5 speed autos or 6-speed smg/manuals...

Yeah, tiptronic... I don't like saying that because it reminds me of steptronic, or manumatic... Ick.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
Old 12-28-2005, 10:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
would the sport mode be faster or the manuel tiptronic...acceleration wise
Old 12-28-2005, 11:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Car: turbo 325is, 325es, Audi a4 turbo
Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98estorilm3
would the sport mode be faster or the manuel tiptronic...acceleration wise
its your first car, and youve had it for a few days. slow down, hot shot.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
yea i know sry my bad. Im just really excited at finally getting this car and my friend has a 2001 acura cl type s and thinks hes big stuff and doesnt believe in the m3 so i wanted to take him for a lil ride
Old 12-29-2005, 08:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
7th Gear (SMG)

Car:
Photos:
That having been said... (thanks for being the wise eye, ND )
The tiptronic should never be used for racing purposes; pretty much for economy or towing. The thing takes a VERY long time between shifts... A blind person without any hands is faster. The sport mode, although not allowing you to shift at your own desire, is much faster than the tiptronic could ever be.
If you prefer the tiptronic anyway, you'll find that at full throttle you'll want to shift about 800-1200 rpms before the point you want the car to shift. It's that slow.

I suggest that you keep it easy; if you want to learn to drive fast safely in an automatic, you'll need to learn your car. I mean that in much more of a way than if you are driving a manual: if you are driving a manual, you're pretty much telling your car what to do. If you are driving an automatic, you're asking it to do something for you.

Test out your car's shift points at different pedal pressures. With enough experience (and the kickdown function is very helpful with this) you'll find out that it is possible, albeit complicated, to force your car into upshifts or downshifts (much easier, with kickdown, to instigate a downshift) or hold gears at high revs/low revs (again, easier to hold in low revs due to the nature of the automatic) without ever going out of S or A/E mode. And it's much quicker that way, for the car, than if you did tiptronic.

E.g., I know in my 318i, pressing kickdown in any gear will drop a gear; hold at about 1/4 pressure on the accelerator, and the car will hold the lower gear at about 5500 rpms (while maintaining constant speed) for around 5-7 seconds. Feathering the throttle with more pressure can extend that to up to 10 seconds. It's all about deluding the car into what you want it to do. Make it think you are going to use those extra revs, or conversely, make it think you are going to go faster, so that it jumps up a gear, and then make a good 40mpg economy at 1200rpms whilst going 45-55mph (by holding about 1/8th pressure on the accelerator after pushing down 3/4's to instigate a gear change).

Complicated with an auto, but with experience, you'll get it.

Or you can always just get a clutch and get manual, or be all tech-savvy and get an SMG.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
Old 12-29-2005, 09:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
sounds ridiculously complicated but im sure ill get the hang of it thanks guys
Old 12-29-2005, 10:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
About the 28mph: that is your average speed. The thing with the needle in your instrument cluster reads out your current speed (however, I am sure you knew tat).
Old 01-02-2006, 07:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
alright new question. If im goin to the track or racing should i have asc (automatic stability control) turned off or on??
Old 01-02-2006, 09:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Off and be sure you know your car well. Actually, that's what track school is for.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)