Small questions... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 11:52 AM
5th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
KingScare is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to KingScare
(Thread Starter)
Ok here goes with some minor concerns I have about my 98 M3. (yes... again...)

I understand that in winter or during colder temperatures, it's very common to see fumes coming out from the tail pipes...

But thursday night, I was sitting at a red light (keep in mind the car had already been on the road for a good 10 minutes, operating temp was reached and it did a lil drive on the highway) and I look in my rear view and my car is REALLY smoking...I look around at the other cars...they have NO smoke what so ever...

I remember people saying that if it's white smoke it's bad but if it's grey smoke it's ok...I personally have trouble distinguishing the 2...cuz like...it's just fucking smoke.

Is there another parameter I could check that would give me more insight than simply the color of the smoke???

The oil was recently changed and it's now running on synthetic. Is it just because my car is a beast and smokes like a crack head?

Another lil thing....when I open my trunk, I get the feeling it's opening to fast...like those rams aren't doing their job correctly...It doesn't have that slow release feel. They don't seem to have leaked or anything so I dunno maybe it's just me... The lid, at it's final resting position, is passed vertical , just leaning over the rear window and the lid's 2 rear corner rest on the tiny "stops"...

the reason why I'm asking questions about the trunk is that I opened it once and it made a really loud CRACK!...from now on I hold onto it as it goes up and it seems to be fine...

ah well...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 02:41 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
question 1 - i wouldnt worry about it . if its blue or white then i would worry (im talking smoke) . your situation only seems like exhaust gases not smoke. i have a detailed explanation as to how everything works but im too tired to write it, believe me your probably fine.

question 2- sounds like your trunk lid shocks need to be replaced. the only other thing i can think is that you have or had ice/snow on the lid and the extra weight threw off the balance of what the shocks could handle.

#3 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 03:25 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Yeah I doubt the smoke would be problematic...So bad smoke would kinda of have a blue look to it? On the other hand, it does look kinda cool though...lol...if i rev the engine the car in back gets a huge cloud puff in their face....

The lid didn't have any extra weight on it, the time it cracked i may have swung it open slightly...

My dad's 328's trunk opens sooooooo smoothly, and mine seems slightly less elegant...is there some kind of test i can do to see if the shocks are still good?

They wouldn't leak would they? There doesn't seem to be any weird liquid coming from them...
#4 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 07:16 PM
2nd Gear Member

Michael@EuroPersona is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with Furious on that one, I must say though if there is Like a whole LOT of smoke, like really thick, thats not good no matter how you swing it.

**deleted** We do not allow commercial activity from non supporting vendors.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 09:31 AM
n00b

Calcartman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Calcartman Send a message via MSN to Calcartman
Check your coolant level. If you are low on coolant, it is probably white smoke and it is a bad sign.
White smoke = burning coolant = Blown Head Gasket
Greyish to blackish smoke = unburned fuel = you're running rich
Bluish smoke = you're burning oil = most likely valve stem seals

Liberalism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere can take care of themselves.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 10:46 AM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Hum...

Well there is enough coolant...and wouldn't a blow head gasket cause REALLY noticeable symptoms like rough idling and a far from smooth ride??

It's not blue or black...I'd say it's just greyish smoke, yeah i just warmed up the car right now...and when it's idle the smoke is really transparent not thick at all...when i step on the gas it does spurt out some extra smoke, but even then it's not very thick....

I guess I'm ok
#7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 02:27 AM
n00b

95m3driva is an unknown quantity at this point
on my old 325 is i opened the driver door one time and it made a crack sound and now the stopper thing that holds the door open doesnt work it just keeps trying to close you have to hold it open
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)