Question for E46 M3 owners - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 01:05 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
safetywork is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I've been shopping around for a new car (one that could serve as a daily driver and track car). Naturally I found the E46 M3 to be a great match for my needs. However upon visiting the dealer and learning more about the car, I found that the M3 does not have a spare. I don't believe the tires that come with the M3 are stocked (especially the size that Ms run with). Are any of you nervous about getting a flat tire far from home?

I drive alot and in some cases in very sparse areas (ie. between LA and San Jose). I will drop by the dealer again to inquire more about the pump and how I could keep the car going (safely) until I can find a shop. But not having a spare is what keeps me from taking the dive.

By the way, what do you guys think about the 330ci? I know they're different cars but some input would be helpful. Thanks...

Charles H.
'04 E46 M3 (6sp)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 02:44 PM
5th Gear Member

KingScare is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to KingScare
Hum...my e36 M3 has a spare...a very nice one too. It's a stock rim just like my summer ones.

I didn't know they took it out of the e46...seems weird. Sure it saves weight...but removing the option completely...

#3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 03:59 PM
1st Gear Member

ARCHER is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by KingScare@Apr 7 2004, 02:24 PM
Hum...my e36 M3 has a spare...a very nice one too. It's a stock rim just like my summer ones.

I didn't know they took it out of the e46...seems weird. Sure it saves weight...but removing the option completely...

They had to remove the spare tire tub in order to accommodate the quad exhaust.

If I often drove in semi-rural to rural areas as safetywork eludes to, it would be a concern for me as well. 2˘

Me - '98 M3/4 (manual)
Estoril on black Nappa, UUC clutch stop, de-baffled airbox, Pilot Sports

Wife - '04 Discovery II
#4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 02:28 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Slvr e39
Get runflats! Thats what I have, not a complete solution but is better then nothing, and let me tell you! The car is worth the risk of no tire. Plus, you'll get from here to there so fast that by the time the tire has had time to leak you will be to your destination

Dinan Stg 2 Phoenix Yellow M3
#5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 03:17 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replies.

The E46 M3s that I've seen (new '04 models) all came with run-flats, perhaps BMW is putting them on now. I'm told by the sales guy that once the pressure sensors detect low pressure, and if in fact the tire is punctured, the car can travel up to 80 miles at highways speeds (whatever that means... don't believe it means 90+ mph for 80 miles).

But for my next question, what do you guys/gals think about the 330ci? I track for fun, not very serious. So far, I've been involved (as much as I have time for) on the autocross'. I haven't tried Time Trials ... yet. But for a hobbiest like myself, do I really need a M?

I've test driven a M but not a 330ci yet. Manual transmissioned 330ci are hard to find. On the autocross events, the times between a M and a 330ci don't seem too far off. I'm sure on time trials and where there are long straights it would be a much different story.

Charles H.
'04 E46 M3 (6sp)
#6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 03:41 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
330ci is great, but you aren't getting the stiffer suspension of an M. i wouldn't recomend it as a autox car.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 04:15 PM
2nd Gear Member

Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute
You could buy the 330 and put the money you saved into suspension and other mods (supercharger).
Ben

"It's not because I'm an aggressive driver, it's because I'm an idiot" actual quote from my wife.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 10:55 PM

Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute
Test drive an m3 and I know you will fall in love with it....I did, I was going to get an A4 convertable until I made the "GREAT!!!" mistake of test driving the M3, I bought it the same day. I also own a 1998 330i and they are completely different (well they are 5 years old appart from each other) But if you really want to have a good time at a track, the M3 is the way to go. you can download the Top Gear M3 video! It is hard to explain the M3...all I can say is, driving the m3, is the most fun I have ever had, and I get to have that fun everyday! Ok....Just test it!

#9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 12:52 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by powerm@Apr 8 2004, 10:35 PM
I also own a 1998 528i and they are completely different (well they are 5 years old appart from each other) But if you really want to have a good time at a track, the M3 is the way to go.
just fixing ur typo lol...i was like 98 WHATTTT!!!!!! lol sorrry

#10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 05:32 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
I was thinking the same, Mach 5! There's at least a $10k savings if I go with the 330ci which I can apply to upgrades (specifically suspension, etc).

As I had stated before, I already test driven the M but have not tested the 330ci. On the autocross events, the difference in lap times aren't much different between an upgraded (suspension only) 330ci and a stock M. Of course, an upgraded M is quit a different story. However if both the M and 330ci were running R compounds I wonder if there really is that much of a difference (autocross only....).

Well wish me luck on my decision. If all goes well, I should have one or the other in 2 weeks (or at least placed an order for one... or the other )

Charles H.
'04 E46 M3 (6sp)
#11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 06:44 PM

Whoops, I meant 2000 330i

#12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I also own a 2000 330i and they are completely different (well they are 5 years old appart from each other) But if you really want to have a good time at a track, the M3 is the way to go.

#13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Keep it Copacetic

Quote:
Originally posted by powerm@Apr 9 2004, 06:26 PM
Quote:
I also own a 2000 330i and they are completely different (well they are 3 years old appart from each other) But if you really want to have a good time at a track, the M3 is the way to go.
lol then ill fix ur OTHER typo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)