question for bimmer gurus - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 03:03 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
M-POWER95 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
question for bimmer gurus

Hey guys! I am an owner of a 2000 VW GTI 1.8t and am considering selling the beast for a 1995 (or so) M3. One of my friends has a 95 M and I have kind realized that its freaking awesome. so my question is how reliable would one of these beast be at around 90- 100,000 miles and if fixing is really as expensive as i have heard (EVEN though this V-dub has not been very cheap): ? I honestly plan on keeping her reletively stock except for maybe(and its a big maybe) bolt ons. anyways thanx guys for the help and hopefully I will be a proud owner of a bimmer soon! Thanx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 11:25 AM
5th Gear Member

RexKing86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to RexKing86
Cool

First welcome to the site. I have a 328i with 100k and it runs great. Many parts are shared with the other E36 cars so it really depends on what parts you would need. It realy depends on how it was driven. With the fun of an M3, it could have been driven very hard, or worshiped. Just do your homework. You may want to consider a newer BMW like a 328i or is though. For the price of a 95 M3, you could get like a 98 328i w/ less miles. A 328i will beat VW's 1.8T too btw, so you wont be dissapointed. (not to put down your car, but even the 2.8L V6 probably couldnt beat the 2.8L BMW I-6, probably not a 325 either.)

I know the boat your in though, I had a '96 A4 w/ the 2.8L V6. BMW's same size engine is sooo much more powerful. Im glad I made the switch to BMW!

CAUTION: You will not want to drive any other kind of car after owning a BMW! Look at MiguelACA… he crashed his and bought an eclipse. He bought a 325 a few days ago…

So if you like V-Dub, don’t get a BMW!

#3 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
They aren't honda reliable but if you take care of it you'll be just fine. One thing to do is once you buythe car, change out the water pump to one with a metal impellor to avoid overheating problems that would surely happen in the future.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
to the werkz! bmw's will run forever (300k sometimes) if they are given proper matenince and cared for... the car you are looking at is based one the same model as alot of other cars... (the e36 model) parts from this line are all interchangeable from alot of different cars so chances are the parts that may need to be replaced are not ///M parts which are more expensive... the most expensive part about owning a bmw is the labor costs... if you are mechanically inclined at all you will find yourself saving ALOT of money by doing your own work...

glad to have you here, btw youll love bmw... i doubt youll ever go back!

if you have any other questions feel free to ask... we are kinda like family here and will help you out with anything...
#5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 11:20 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lwebb12 Send a message via Yahoo to lwebb12
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltshaker185
to the werkz! bmw's will run forever (300k sometimes) if they are given proper matenince and cared for... the car you are looking at is based one the same model as alot of other cars... (the e36 model) parts from this line are all interchangeable from alot of different cars so chances are the parts that may need to be replaced are not ///M parts which are more expensive... the most expensive part about owning a bmw is the labor costs... if you are mechanically inclined at all you will find yourself saving ALOT of money by doing your own work...

glad to have you here, btw youll love bmw... i doubt youll ever go back!

if you have any other questions feel free to ask... we are kinda like family here and will help you out with anything...
Yeah 95 dollars an hour here in Cali.

Member 150+ MPH club
Member of the 3-Pedal club
Memebr BMW FORUMS V1 CLUB
JL Audio 13W7 in W7 pro wedge box powered by JL Audio 1000/1 slash series amp. JL Audio RBC. V1 hardwired.
Euro First Aid Kit, warning triangle, and fire extinguisher. Euro Storage bin Mod. UUC Stage III lightweight flywheel/clutch.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 11:59 PM
5th Gear Member

325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
only $95/hr? I've heard of them being as high as $130/hr

http://www.myspace.com/330xigirl
Come see me at MySpace
#7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 08:42 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lwebb12 Send a message via Yahoo to lwebb12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isBaby
only $95/hr? I've heard of them being as high as $130/hr
It depends on where you live.

Dealers in this area charge 120 an hour.

Member 150+ MPH club
Member of the 3-Pedal club
Memebr BMW FORUMS V1 CLUB
JL Audio 13W7 in W7 pro wedge box powered by JL Audio 1000/1 slash series amp. JL Audio RBC. V1 hardwired.
Euro First Aid Kit, warning triangle, and fire extinguisher. Euro Storage bin Mod. UUC Stage III lightweight flywheel/clutch.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 10:39 AM
5th Gear Member

325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
Yeah our shop only charges $88/hr (what bs)

http://www.myspace.com/330xigirl
Come see me at MySpace
#9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 02:28 PM
5th Gear Member

RexKing86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to RexKing86
Thats rediculous, they should charge by the job, not time. Whenever I get my car serviced at a shop I get the price in advance. forget the stealer...

#10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 07:22 PM
n00b

M-POWER95 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
yea....

80 something for VW's aswell....but as of right now i have not found anything in the BMW family wround my price range. well i mean i can get a bimmer that is priced at 10-12k but then i wont have any money to do some upgrades......i mean stock the bimmer would probably lose to my modded VW. I just like the way M3's are all engine and fast as shit .... so if i can find a bimmer then i will probably jump all over it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)