Qs For anyone else that is lowered.. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 03:40 PM
4th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PrInG has a spectacular aura about PrInG has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to PrInG
(Thread Starter)
Qs For anyone else that is lowered..

Hey all.. I was just wondering if any of you have problem with your car wanting to get all over the road if you hit a bump.. Seems like to me if I hit a bump my car wants to go all over the place.. I was guessing it was because the car is lowered a lot, but it could be something else.. If not any ideas ?

TO HONOR: Get Honor Stay Honor if You Can't Come in Her Come Honor.

"its not banana yellow but its not golden its just that perfect creamy german goodness"

- Bow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 05:05 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
How would lowering have that effect?

I personally doubt lowering would have anything to do with it. All over the place right-left? Or up-down? All over the place back-and-forth oscillation? Or all over the place pulling to one side?

The problem (if there is one) may be in your steering rack or probably tie rod or rod ends.

One thing is that if the call simply pulls to one side or the other when you hit road irregularities, it may just be because the wide track of the tires allows for it. The fix is a steady had at the wheel.

Lastly, you've been on this forum long enough that it is inexcusable for you to post a tech question with so little information. You should know well by now that we need details.

#3 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 05:22 PM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
Unless there was some highly unusual or patently wrong installation of the lowering mechanism you used, the car should handle BETTER (tho' with a firmer ride) once lowered. My coilovers were so tight at first you needed your seatbelt to hold you in when I hit a bump. Based on the little you said, the new lowering you did may have placed extra stress on another part of the car such as the tie rods4teering mech suggested by Daniel but no, lowering should not cause a problem in handling. It takes some breaking in and getting used to the new feel for sure though. I had to change my CD to ipod since the ride was so rough as to constantly skip the cd. Mine is lowered all the way to 1/2" MAX (maybe 1/4") over my wheels and never do they touch no matter what I put her through.

Last question - Does this problem happen at high speeds only or also when you go slow??

Hope we can zero in on the problem and get you solid aagin!

2008 ///M5 with Eisenmann race exhaust "Athena"
2013 VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 2L Turbo
RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
RIP 2002 Z3 Roadster 2.5i - VF Supercharged, 5-speed, Brembos etc.
Turkey ///M Car Fleet Commander
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
drz.....is correct, a little more info & I agree with Roadstermadness, your ride should hold the road better but just be a little stiffer....anyway, a little over a year a ago I had this problem.....when I hit a bump, the rear of the car shifted & kicked out, also on acceleration the rear end felt like it was shifting from side to side.....also while all this was going on, I had a loud banging noise coming from the rear.....this is what I found, the rear trailing arm bushing were shot: United Bimmer - BMW Enthusiast Community and Forums : Bimmer Technical Help
I relpaced the rear trailing arm bushings & the problem was corrected
johnny,

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 11-08-2008 at 05:51 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 09:32 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
My fault fellas, The car pulls left to right when it hits road irregularities.. It is sudden, when I used to drive a bagged S10 with no power steering the wheel jerked when I hit bumps.. With my M the wheel doesn't seem to move just the car.. Once again it pulls left or right .

edit- it happens at all slow speeds and highways speed. The road I live on in toledo is ver CHOPPY and even on the highway for example when I hit a point where the road switches to a bridge and then back to highway. That is where the shifting happens at joints in the road. Hope that helps a little more.

Also johnny- it does feel like the back end is getting lose. Only under very hard acceleration. I can only think of a couple times I've noticed it ..

"its not banana yellow but its not golden its just that perfect creamy german goodness"

- Bow

Last edited by PrInG; 11-09-2008 at 09:44 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 10:31 AM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
I see those bushing are about 55$ a pair. And supposedly there are 4 of them.. I read the tutorial... How long did it take you guys to change yours ? apparently it is a very common problem.

- Bow
#7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Bavauto.com has them for $17.95 ea.Part # : 33 32 1 097 009. It took me about 2 hours to do the rear......
note: I did not need a special puller, I just rented this puller set from Advanced Auto Parts for free....... While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com
johnny,

#8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 02:12 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
wow.. I'm really glad you mention Bavauto a buddy of mine sent me a turnermotorsport link that had them for 56 a pop and that wasn't very appealing haha.. how much would it matter if I didn't get an alignment because I just had my car aligned and it would suck to have to get nailed twice .. what is your opinion?

- Bow
#9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Ich bin der Modifikator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrInG View Post
wow.. I'm really glad you mention Bavauto a buddy of mine sent me a turnermotorsport link that had them for 56 a pop and that wasn't very appealing haha.. how much would it matter if I didn't get an alignment because I just had my car aligned and it would suck to have to get nailed twice .. what is your opinion?
Yeah, you have to shop around......as far as the alignment, I just followed the directions in the DIY link.....& had no problems...without an alignment.
johnny,

#10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 10:52 AM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Great news thanks alot man.. LIFE SAVER

- Bow
#11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 01:18 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
sorry, but I looked at Bavauto they have ones for 17$ that they say you need 4 of. I looked at pelican and they say there are only 2 and then I found lower trailing arm bushings .. What is the right part? Anyone know for sure?

- Bow
#12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrInG View Post
sorry, but I looked at Bavauto they have ones for 17$ that they say you need 4 of. I looked at pelican and they say there are only 2 and then I found lower trailing arm bushings .. What is the right part? Anyone know for sure?
There are only 2 rear trailing arm bushings, the front have control arm bushings, which were not bad on my car.....get the 2 from bavauto.com

Your Parts Search Returned 3 Part(s)

johnny,

#13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 07:27 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
RTABs and subframe bushings. If one's gone, the other likely is or about to go. Same problem was aparent on my z3, replacing all the above remedied it greatly. While under there, might as well replace your rear shock mounts too. I'm all about doing things once.

#14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Son, your problem is bump steer. A lot of people get it when they lower theirs cars because you have not taken the proper precautions to align it back to spec. Get your alignment specs and go from there. Your problem probably lies within your toe adjustment, which can be corrected by adjusting tie rods properly.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 03:59 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
could another alignment fix that problem ?

- Bow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)