Which Oil to Use? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 10:17 AM
General Chaos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
(Thread Starter)
Which Oil to Use?

Ive been doing alot f searching, and have come up with nothing, im about to change my oil, and i wanted some opinions on oils....
i was thinking royal purple 15w40 or castrol synthetic 15w40....

any experiance on either?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Member

MEDSTUDENT87 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MEDSTUDENT87
My dad owns a auto repair shop and he has done research and it seems Pennzoil synthetic platinum is the best. I use mobil 1 but am gonna switch as soon as my 15k oil change is up.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:39 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
I've used 'em all. As for fully synthetics, I'd recomend Royal Purple, RedLine or Mobil 1. While most people would cringe at the idea, i once went 17K in between changes w/ Redline and when emptied, the consistency was unchanged. No breakdown. I've had similar results w/ Royal Purple. BMW recomends Mobil1 5W30 or Castrol Syntec 5w30.

Personally, i think more importantly than using one of the aforementioned, is the need to be consistent w/ useage. My current whip has been fed Mobil 1 5w30 since day 1, so intend to keep it that way. Cars most certainly get acustomed to the oil it's fed, frequent changes in brand and weight are bad ideas. Contrary to popular belief, there's really no need in changing weights based on season/temperature, unless you live in a climate that has dramatic changes in season.

#4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:47 PM
General Chaos

SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
(Thread Starter)
i actually picked up a box of Royal Purple 5w30, we'll see how it goes...

#5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
RP ftmfw! i started using rp 15w40 and noticed a difference, wanna do a compression test and check my numbers but it feels smoother then the castrol i was using before.

#6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 11:35 AM
W00T

Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Numark318i
iv been using mobil 1. maybe ill try some RP.

#7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 07:07 PM
2nd Gear Member

Wonderboy is on a distinguished road
i use lubro moly. it's awesome. it kinda looks like mercury when you pour it... eh whatever... it works great.

I pretty much piss excellence!
#8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 12:41 PM
3rd Gear Member

Kissner is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Kissner
Ill let you all in on a little secret, Shaeffer oil is the best oil in the world. I've seen some pretty crazy ass tests to the prove it too. Every year there's this thing called Farmfest in a local town and Schaeffer always has an exhibit. They have some machine that has a little spinning metal bearing that's submerged in oil and a handle that sticks outward from the machine. They let people bring in any oil they want and test it out. The object of the test is to be able to push down on the handle as hard as you can and the bearing won't stop. I've never seen any oil pass the test but Schaeffer. Every year somone brings in there special oil that they think is the best, and everytime it gets stopped by pushing down with one hand on the handle. I've seen people jump up and down on the handle and never get that Schaeffer's to stop. I don't know if they sell in small quantities, my dad's a farmer so we buy in bulk 50 gallon drums. I've converted all my friends already, i hope some of you try it out!
#9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
annnddd your bro managed to weld a spark plug to his piston using it?
#10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 02:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

haha no, he was running mobil 1, and even so, a jumped timing belt has nothing to do with the oil used.
#11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 02:43 PM
2nd Gear Member

isherdholi will become famous soon enough
I use Castrol Edge 0w30. It's BMW LongLife 01 Spec.

#12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
There's no need for you to move up to 15W oil Shahid. Good choice on the 5W.

Royal Purple is a very good brand, but my car has been Mobil 1 Synthetic since almost near the beginning of it's life. Believing some theories on the characteristics of seals and how they react to different oils, I plan on keeping to Mobil 1 synthetic. If my car had been Royal Purple all it's life, i'd stay with that.

If your car has been using a certain brand of oil all it's life, you should stick with it. Your seals int he engine are used to it's compound. This is especially true when switching from regular oil to synthetic late in an engine's lifetime. Don't want to develop leaks, do you?

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Neutral Member

325IConvertible is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325IConvertible
Royal purple is a VERY good brand especially when working with race cars because if water gets in the oil it seperates and helps clean up TREMENDOUSLY !!!!!!!!!! However I have always used Mobil1 in my Camaro in my Vette and now in my BMW. Only reason I have stuck with it is because every car I have bought besides my BMW has been a GM vehicle and they always called for Mobile1 such as my Vette. Plus my Cousin is a mechanic is a GM mechanic and he swears by it and says GM does as well. I dont think you can go wrong with Mobile1.
I know some say Penzoil works but if you have ever opened up a high milage vehicle that used penz or quakerstate you will noticed it sludges up like pancake syrup.

1995 325I Convertible
2002 Corvette Z06
1969 SS 396 Camaro
#14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 07:51 PM
3rd Gear Member

I went to the demo of the Schaeffer oil that i talked about earlier and taped it. If anyone wants to see it, send me your email and i'll send the vids. I'm not sure how to post it. I've got the video of Mobil 1 and of Schaeffer, it's a pretty sweet vid, let me know if anyone wants to see it
#15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
I use Mobil 1..... dont laugh here... but I use 15w-50... high mileage synthetic stuff... then again... my temperature changes in VA a lot more than it does in Cali.

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)