oil light come son - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ian3 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
oil light come son

Hey everyone,

Everytime i drive, the oil indicator light comes on when starting the car but goes away after a few seconds. Also when I take right turns, the oil indicator light comes on too. Does anyone have any idea what it could be??

Thanks for the help.

///M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 06:34 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
How's the oil level? Is it getting time for an oil change?

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Oil level is fine. I just did an oil change too. I have no idea

///M
#4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 08:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

k.sidlosky is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to k.sidlosky
The same thing happened to my old v dub, maybe your oil pump could be going bad? Mine was due to the fact that it wasn't a sports car. Is it on an M or the other bimmer?

|Dinan Intake|Schrick Cams|24lb Injectors|809 HFM|M50 Manifold|TMS Stage IV+|Dinan Strut Brace|Samco Hoses|UUC Pulley||UUC SSK DSSR|DDM Coilovers|Fikse FM10|Brembo Rotors|Hawk Pads|AA Exhaust|Alpine|Audiobahn|Sony|
#5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Its on my 1998 M3. It may be the pump but I doubt it considering my type of car doesn't really have that problem. From what I've heard its the oil pump nut that's the problem. I'm going to have my friend pressure test it to see if my oil pressure is okay. If its fine that its probably just a bad sensor..thanks for the advice

///M
#6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian3 View Post
Its on my 1998 M3. It may be the pump but I doubt it considering my type of car doesn't really have that problem. From what I've heard its the oil pump nut that's the problem. I'm going to have my friend pressure test it to see if my oil pressure is okay. If its fine that its probably just a bad sensor..thanks for the advice
I would say, it is probably a faulty sensor.......Did you have this issue before you changed your oil?

jb

#7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Yes I did...but now it starts to come on when I make quick turns to the right. But if the turns are slow or steady then it does not turn on. It does not come on when I make left turns though.

///M
#8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Yes I did...but now it starts to come on when I make quick turns to the right. But if the turns are slow or steady then it does not turn on. It does not come on when I make left turns though.
It also could possibly be a loose connection to the oil sensor (sending unit) & or the connection on the gauge cluster itself......

jb

#9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
yea thats what i figured but i just hate electrical...i figure if I just do the pressure test and just check the oil every once in awhile i should be okay....thanks for the advice johnny b

///M
#10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

Garage
Quote:
yea thats what i figured but i just hate electrical...i figure if I just do the pressure test and just check the oil every once in awhile i should be okay....thanks for the advice johnny b
You are welcome & good luck........

jb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)