BMW Werkz banner

Newbie has a question

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Furious 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I currently have a 02 VW GTI 1.8T. Right now im in Poland till next month, but when I get back I plan to sell it and I want to buy an M3 1995-1998. I need to know if there are any differences in the engines in any of these years. I read somewhere that there is a 3.2L , also a 3.0? One with more torque? Any help would be appreciated. tHANKS.

#2 ·
Welcome Drift24-7 B)

the engine differences greatly depend on whether you buy it in europe or the US, but i dont know if you were referring to the US models or euro spec. i'll just assume you were talking about the US spec cause you didnt seem interested in the 93 or 94's.

1995 was the first year for the E36 M3 in the US and it came with a 3.0L with 240hp (although europe got a different 3L with 286hp), then 1996-1999 US models had a 3.2L with again 240hp, but still basically the same engine. (europe in 96 got a brand new double vanos, 6-throttle body 3.2L with 321hp)

i dont remember what the exact tq specs were for the 3L and 3.2L US engines but i'm sure if there was a difference it couldnt have been much more than 5lb-ft, not enough to make a significant performance difference

#4 ·
Ok so it seems like 95 was the only year they had it as a 3.0L I may have to get a 95 since I dont want to spend more then 18k on this car. Any suggestions to what I should inspect on the car im looking at? Id prefer a car with less then 40,000 miles. How does mileage affect performance on these m3's? BTW i live in Florida. Any idea of what a stock 95 m3 (us spec) 5-spd. will run in the 1/4 mile? Thanks for all your help so far. :bow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.