Newbie - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 06:36 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sfarooq is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey guys,

I am a newbie to this forum and I am in the process of looking for an e36 M3. My optimum color of choice is artic silver, but black and other base colors might work, depending upon the vehicle. I have several questions and would hope that you guys can steer me in the right direction.
First, are there major differences between the e36 m3's, dependant upon the year they were manufactured?
Second, if I was to buy one (manual obviously), what are some mods I can do to the car, as far as bolt on parts are concerned, to give me a 20-30 whp gain?
Third, considering I live in the mid-west and I currently drive an Audi a4 equipped with quattro, will I be unable to drive "spirited" in somewhat slippery conditions (ie. snow, rain, and cold) with the m3? What I mean is, I have a modded a4 with suspension, swaybars, and etc.., but I can drive around town fast everynow and then if I feel like it, will I be able to do that with the e36? Or am I giving up handling in the cold months going from quattro to rwd?
Lastly, what advise would you give to someone who is looking to buy an m3?

I thank you guys for all the help in advance, and I appreciate any feedback you can throw my way. I look forward to driving around in my soon to be acquired m3.

Also I've attached a picture of my current A4, if anyone is interested to know what it looks like.

Cheers,
Saeed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00387.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	13632  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 08:08 PM
Science Roolz!

SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
95 m3:

3.0l
obd1 <---easier to mod
i think different gearing as well

96-99m3

3.2l
obd2

basic mods

chip
exhaust
intake

some popular sites

Active Autowerks
M3MOTORWERKS
TURNER MOTORSPORT

also i'm pretty sure that rwd is going to give you less handeling in winter conditions

also, are you persian?

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
#3 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 09:04 PM
n00b

selkie is an unknown quantity at this point
I just made the migration from S4 to M3 yesterday! I have pretty much the same questions you do too. I have a very modified 2000 S4 that I'm coming from so I'm looking for some good mods and can't wait to have some fun once the breakin period is over. Anyway, welcome to bimmer land.

Good luck with your new M3!

(don't you feel like a traitor? I kinda do )
#4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 04:57 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info man, I appreciate it greatly. I would imagine that the chip, exaust, and etc.. would give me an very sufficient increase in power for now, because I honestly plan on swapping the 3.2L U.S. motor for the Euro-spec one. I know there are companies that do that sort of stuff, but do you happen to know of any particularly good ones? thanks in advance.

cheers,
Saeed

ps. I'm not persian, but am a quarter arabic
#5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 05:02 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Lol,

Hey man. Nice to know I'm not the only one who is making the change from Audi to Bmw, but honestly it was only a matter of time I think. I love my Audi, but the Bmw just has something that the Audi lacks, cant point my finger to one particular aspect of the car either. My friend is an Audi nut, he's going to have the third fastest Audi A4 in North America I guess, because he's done a custom 2.0L race motor, new tranny, custom turbo kit, and the list is longer than four pages. I do feel like a trator sometimes, lol, but you know what I'm going to be happier with my M3 than my A4, so I'm being honest to my self.

Good luck with your M3 too man, I'll see on the board, and thanks for the welcome.

Cheers,
Saeed
#6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 06:36 PM
Science Roolz!

SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
Quote:
Originally posted by Sfarooq@Oct 26 2004, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the info man, I appreciate it greatly. I would imagine that the chip, exaust, and etc.. would give me an very sufficient increase in power for now, because I honestly plan on swapping the 3.2L U.S. motor for the Euro-spec one. I know there are companies that do that sort of stuff, but do you happen to know of any particularly good ones? thanks in advance.

cheers,
Saeed

ps. I'm not persian, but am a quarter arabic
[snapback]218974[/snapback]

that's cool i'm half persian, i lived a year in Jordan, arabic people are cool too

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
#7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 07:04 PM
2nd Gear Member

M3Rider is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm persian and israeli Farsi meedoonee bacheh? Ageh meedoonee, boroh to siteh www.theperser.com khaylee meekhandee...

My Car
2004 330ci
Exterior: Alpine White
Interior: Black
Options: <span style='color:red'>Performance Pkg</span>, <span style='color:green'>Cold Weather</span>, <span style='color:blue'>Xenon</span>, <span style='color:yellow'>Moonroof</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)