New member, clutch slave question! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 10:35 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
esc97m3 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
New member, clutch slave question!

Hi guys, new member here. I've got a 97 M3 sedan with somewhere around 175k miles. I'm replacing the clutch slave on it and the new slave came with a rod. I'm assuming it's a replacement rod for the one inside the transmission that goes into the slave. My question is how do you get the old rod out? (it's not sticking out of the hole, it's kinda deep in there). I looked at some manuals (like the Bentley one) but no info on how it's removed. And I didn't want to stick some needle nose plyers in there and yank it out without asking if there's a more proper way to do it.

It also feels like it has a large rubber gasket on it or something, not sure exactly since I'm going only by what I can feel. I can only see the tip of the rod in there, and it doesn't seem to move when you press and depress the clutch pedal.

Thanks in advance for any info you guys can give me on this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
I thought the rod was part of the slave cylinder and should come out attached to the old one, unless its broken off/come detatched??? I may be wrong so wait for some more input...

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#3 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 11:20 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Well I was thinking it would come out with it too, but it seems to be stuck in there. I can't just pull it out with my fingers so I'll need a small pair of pliers to pull on it, I just wanted to make sure it was *supposed* to come out.

Oh and from what I can see of the tip, it doesn't seem to be broken. I guess it just came detached from the cylinder (which, thankfully was my clutch problem). I suppose I'll see what I can do with it.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 11:31 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
After going out there and prying around, the rod definitely seems to be being held in the transmission by something. Does the clutch pedal need to be pressed in to release it? Or does the car need to be out of gear? Can't figure out what's holding it in there.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 12:36 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
UPDATE: after getting a good grip on the rod with a pair of pliers and pulling as hard as I can, the rod still won't come out of the transmission. I've tried it with the clutch pressed and depressed. Can anyone possibly think of a reason the rod won't come out?

Just tried it with the car out of gear as well. Doesn't seem like this thing is going to come out easy unless I'm missing something here...

Last edited by esc97m3; 11-17-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)