New M3 Owner Questions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 08:35 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
m3 tampa is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Just bought a great 99 M3 coupe. Great power delivery, fun car to drive. Lots of low end grunt compared to my 01 Boxster S, I just lost (to a rear end collision).

Replaced with an M3. Fun car but the handling needs some help. Though it turns in quicker and has no front end "push" like the Porsche, the M3 has much more lean through corners. Feels, less "together", as one piece.

I was first thinking strut braces for the front and rear. Any suggestions on low dollar, quality braces. I want a good product, but I do not want to pay big bucks for a "name". I guess that would tie things together pretty well and flatten out the corners. Any suggestions??

I would guess the M3 would come with aggressive factory sway bars. But after looking over the internet, I wonder if there are any at all. If so, could the factory bars use improvement? Guess I can look, but does anyone know the stock bar sizes (mm.)??

Lastly when parked, as I push down on the front or rear of the car, there is too much "float" in the suspension. It gives about 1-2 inches of play, I guess. I would prefer about a 1/4 - 1/2 inch of play.

The car has 54k miles. I would guess original suspension. Would fresh performance shocks improve this? Which ones, Bilsteins? Or do the springs need replacing? Or both?

Compared to the Porsche, The M3 floats like a Caddie over uneven ground. Obviously not as bad, but to understand what I am trying to correct. After driving the Porsche, a little float is a little too much for my taste. I do not need to beaten up, but I like a firm ride. What are some moderate cost suggestions to firm things up. Shocks or springs (or both) to cure the play in the suspension??

Beyond that anything you could offer to a new M3 driver would be great. Also have perfect "Contours" for sale, or trade for some 18s or 19s.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Been here a while.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Yes... you may purchase a good deal of the suspension parts from www.turnermotorsports.com... they are good people.. and I've had a lot of luck with their performance suspension parts in the past... they make quality stuff... sway bars... yes.. your car came with them.. but like most factory parts.. they could use some improvement... from the factory that are perfect.. but wear out over time like any thing else... so a good upgrade would fix it...

About your wheels for sale... you should try and post that information in the "classified" forum... you might get a lot more help from that... good luck... and I hope to see you around in the future.. nice to have you..

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)