"New" 2001 M3 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2004, 06:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
udluze is an unknown quantity at this point
I have just acquired a 2001 M3. The car has 29,000 miles on it. I have had to replace the battery. I presume the car was stored winters without the use of a battery charger. No big deal.

I have two, more serious, questions regarding the car. There seems to be quite a bit of gear noise. It surprises me. I would have expected an expensive BMW to be quieter. Even the throwout bearing is audible when using the clutch. Do others who own this model consider that to be normal?

My other question has to do with the clutch. The takeup seems abrupt. I had to drive the car several miles before first to second gear shifts got smooth. Driving the car takes a fair amount of effort, especially in traffic. I also own a Honda S2000. That car practically drives itself. Everything feels light and smooth compared to the BMW.

Neither problem is significant enough to justify replacing parts at this point. I have given thought, however, to having the transmission fluid changed to see if it will make things quieter. I would replace the clutch as well if I thought a new one would make the car easier to drive. I'm not a bit anxious to spend money on a transmission but I suppose I'd consider it at some time in the future if this car has been abused and the unit is worn excessively.

The car is certainly peppy and it's fun to drive out on the open road.

Rob
udluze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2004, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
gpoints is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by udluze@Sep 13 2004, 07:16 AM
I have two, more serious, questions regarding the car. There seems to be quite a bit of gear noise. It surprises me. I would have expected an expensive BMW to be quieter. Even the throwout bearing is audible when using the clutch. Do others who own this model consider that to be normal?

My other question has to do with the clutch. The takeup seems abrupt. I had to drive the car several miles before first to second gear shifts got smooth. Driving the car takes a fair amount of effort, especially in traffic. I also own a Honda S2000. That car practically drives itself. Everything feels light and smooth compared to the BMW.

When you say gear noise, are you talking about "drive-train slop"? Is it an audible clunk when shifts aren't made smoothly?

And as far as the T/O bearing, that thing should be okay unless the previous owner rested his foot on the clutch frequently which wouldn't suprise me.

And yes, the clutch engagement is a bit abrupt IMO. I've driven nothing but manuals my whole life and find the M is by far the toughest. You'll get use to it, but it will take a bit of time.
gpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)