Need Expert advice!!!!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 06:30 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
STREETRACER is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Need Expert advice!!!!!

Hey ive got a E36 M3 3.2 1998 euro spec.. we had a gymkahna a while ago and after a good couple of rounds my car got this LOUD ''GRRRRRR'' sound in the gearbox area, like i have seized the thrust bearing!!! so i drove my car back home '' Sounded sh*t but couldnt feel anything strange!!! the sound is there if the clutch is engaged or disengaged

Got my self a new clutch kit, Brand new flywheel , etc..
assembled the whole lot yesterday... and boom the sound is still there!!!

If any of you have done the job you would know why i dont just want to open it up again!!!

my guess is it is the starter or something!!!! but it starts no problem and in my opinion if the starter kicked out and ran on the ring gear!! it would make a charge and melt the wires which is not happening!!! hope its not something in the engine!! but it revs up clean and the power is there!!! have any of you had this problem before????????

E36 M3 3.2 186kw @wheels 13.9s 1/4mile
www.streetracer.co.za Founder / Designer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 08:25 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
Does this sound only occur when you are moving?
Is it there if you put the car on a hill, get it moving an then kill the engine and roll in neutral? (be careful of steering lock)
#3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 11:06 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
no the sound is there if its standing still aswell!! it cant be the AC pump its removed! the steering pump is replaced new coz the shaft turned off! if i rev the car up it seems to make the noise go softer!! i doubt its a seized pulley coz the sound is under the car!! i climbed under the car today while iddle-ing and the sound comes from between the bellhousing and the sump!!! and its loud!!! you will hear the sound if i come driving up the road!! i thought of the oil pump aswell but the oil light doesnt come on!!

it can be somewhere around the starter maby or in the gearbox but the gears sellect easely and when the box was out the spicket turned easely by hand!!!

if i turn the engine off you can hear it make the noise and then stops about a split second after the engine is off completely!!! its a seized grinding rattle scratching grrrrrrr sound!!!! i found a couple of videos on youtube of people with the same problem on M3's but there is no reply on the cause of it!!!

Here is some vids on youtube of the same noise, mine sound the same except it doesnt go away if i engage the clutch!!
excuse the spelling English is my second language..

Last edited by STREETRACER; 01-03-2010 at 11:16 AM.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
So its there on idle.....from what youve said and vids I would say its the camshaft...or it could be the vanos Im not 100% when it was introdued in your model.

What may I ask is gymkahna in S.A ? here in the U.K its a horse jumping competition....

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!

Last edited by marti5; 01-03-2010 at 01:48 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 02:57 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
some wise oke in S.A gave parcade rally , almost drifting the name ghymkahna.. so who am i to differ lol.. lots of fun very aggressive motorsport but to much punishment on the car!!!

thanks for the reply ill have the vanos checked out anyway.. the sound is at its loudest under the car by the bellhousing area but everything in there is brand new! ill remove the starter tomorrow and have that checked out !!

wish i still stayed in the U.K all the spares and fancy parts are available on the shelf! here i have to import everything!! the Bmw agents are crazy with they're prices!! payed 1800 pounds for a fuel pump the other day!!

#6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 06:12 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
Does the noise occur if you crank the car over but don't let it start? Is it possible for the starter gear to catch on the fly wheel (showing my ignorance here) even once the starter has been denergised? From what you are describing, it has to be something that isn't directly linked to the crank otherwise it would stop with the engine. Is there a synchro gear within the gear box that can freewheel once the engine stops?
#7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 07:04 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hey brettski, good guess! i took the starter out today and for some odd reason the bendix failed to pull back!! after some fiddeling with it it went back to its place!! i took it in for a service and it seems the plannetry gear " spelling" was stripped!! i should have it back by this afternoon! total damage is R250 S.A rand which is about $38 austrailian dollars!! just spend R16000 S.A rand coz i thought it was my thrust bearing or the floating flywheel!!! could have saved a buck if i just checked the starter!!! but at least everything is new!!!

Thanks for all the input!!!! have a look at my website ill keep you posted on my car!!!

#8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 04:41 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
i drove with the car just now and its back to its normal self!! just much more throttle responsive with the new flywheel!!! its a solid flywheel not duel mass but it comes in very smooth not jurky at all!! it shudders a bit but thats the 4puck button!!

its weighs 18.9lbs now and the STD one is 24.2lbs.. ill get it on the dyno tomorrow to compare graphs with the old flywheel!! ill post the 2 graphs on my website.. might be interesting!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)